Main Menu

Axle Bearing Making Noise

Started by erik70rt, August 25, 2017, 06:16:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

When I swapped out the third member in my R/T, I loosened the axles to be able to change it.  Now the bearing on the right side is making a rhythmical grinding noise.  An they be re-lubed or should I just replace it?  I read on how to replace it in the service manual and I don't have a lot of the special tools, so can it be done without them?

Thanks!
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

dodj

Yes they can and should be re-greased from time to time. The diff oil doesn't lube the axle bearings. The rhythmical noise you are getting may be from incorrectly setting of the axle end play.
If you have never greased your axle bearings, you should IMO.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Shane Kelley

:iagree: Grease your bearings and set your axle end play with the adjuster. You only adjust the end play on one side that's why there is only one adjuster. There is a exact amount of play that the factory calls for. I have done so many that I do it by feel. About a 1/8 inch of in and out movement will work fine. Do all this and you will probably be fine. I don't I have ever seen one of those bearings go bad with any I have worked on. Good Luck!

erik70rt

Thanks.  All I did was unbolt it, slide it to clear the third member and put it back.  I didn't check the end play other than to see that it wasn't moving any differently than before I loosened it.  Would the noise be an indication of too much play?

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

when you put the axles back in, you should have the adjuster backed off a bit. Tap the axles with a non-metalic hammer/block of wood, whatever to seat them. Then tighten up the adjuster. Roll over the axle a few turns and check end play. Keep tightening until you have no end play. Then back off the adjustment 4 notches. That should give you the recommended 8 to 16 thou end play. I aim for closer to 8 thou and 3 notches netted me 10 thou on my axle.  :alan2cents:

erik70rt

I don't recall even seeing an adjuster.  BTW - this is for an 8 3/4 rear.

dodj

Passenger side. You will see what look 'sort of' like a crown nut around the axle. It is the threaded adjuster.
Unless you have green bearings instead of original? What I described relates to the set up of original style bearings.

erik70rt

Sweet!  Thanks!  Looks like I'll be back under the car again tonight!  LOL

erik70rt

I adjusted the play on the right side and got it in tolerance.  Now the problem I am having is the back of the drum is scraping against the backing plate.  Ugh.

Cuda Cody

Are they the same drums as you were using before?  They didn't rub before you adjusted the axles?

Quote from: erik70rt on August 25, 2017, 04:14:01 PM
I adjusted the play on the right side and got it in tolerance.  Now the problem I am having is the back of the drum is scraping against the backing plate.  Ugh.

erik70rt

Same drums.  And they didn't rub before.  I only changed the third member. 

The original gaskets were shot so I fabricated new ones.  Perhaps they are not thick enough causing the axle to sit too close to the backing plate?

RUNCHARGER

More likely the backing plate got a new kink in the edge of it.
Sheldon

Roadman

:iagree:
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 25, 2017, 06:23:07 PM
More likely the backing plate got kink in the edge of it.

:iagree:

erik70rt

I went and asked a buddy of mine who is a mechanic for Dodge.  When I told him what I had done, he said I was missing a pin that goes between the axles that help set proper end play.  Since I don't have that pin, I need to swap out the bearings to the non adjustable green bearings.  Does that sound right?