Main Menu

Axle Bearing Making Noise

Started by erik70rt, August 25, 2017, 06:16:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Quote from: dodj on August 29, 2017, 05:27:26 PM
Quote from: erik70rt on August 28, 2017, 06:30:53 AM
I ordered a set of bearings from Dr. Diff.  My R/T is not a daily driver nor is it driven hard in corners, so they should be fine for my application.
Just curious. I replaced the center pin in 30 minutes. What made you decide to go the new bearing route instead of just replacing the missing piece?
Fair amount of labor involved in cutting off the old collar etc..

I don't remember if I have the clutch type of third member and I didn't want to pull it all apart again to find out.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

cuda dad

Quote from: erik70rt on August 26, 2017, 05:57:26 AM
I went and asked a buddy of mine who is a mechanic for Dodge.  When I told him what I had done, he said I was missing a pin that goes between the axles that help set proper end play.  Since I don't have that pin, I need to swap out the bearings to the non adjustable green bearings.  Does that sound right?
It sounds like you need the pin not different bearings.

erik70rt

Well, after a bit of thought - I'll stick to my usual line of thinking.  If you're going to do it - do it right.  So I ordered a pin, gaskets and such and will replace the parts.  I'll keep the green bearings in inventory for if I need them down the road for a different project.

erik70rt

Spacer kit finally arrived today.  I pulled my service manual and can't find anything about installing it.  How does it get installed?  Do I need any special tools?

1 Wild R/T

No special tools, look through where one axle lives & you'll see a hole through to the other axle... The thrust pins are inserted from both sides & the small pin is passed through & the second end gets peened to hold the thrust pins...

erik70rt

Everything is installed and working just like it should.   Thanks for all the help!

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon