Main Menu

Best way to store an engine out of the car

Started by dave73, December 18, 2017, 01:44:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

So I pulled my 318 a few months back, it's been sitting on a dolly in the garage. Still has some oil in it. What's the best way to store it? With oil, without oil, anything special I should do to "winterize" it or something like that? Probably will need a full rebuild one day when I use it for something else but it was running pretty darn good when I yanked it.

RUNCHARGER

I leave the oil in them but the full level is beneath the crankshaft anyway. The fogging is a good idea. You can pull the rocker gear off to close the valves and seal it up and tape over any openings as well.
Sheldon

jimynick

There is also a school of thought that you fill them up to the brim with diesel, cover all openings and away you go. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Jalaska907

Normally, If i'm planning a rebuild, I tear down the engine, do my measuring and inspection, wipe the bare block down with WD40 and put a heavy duty bag over it. I like to tear them down early, so I can budget the needed work and time into my build.  I hate waiting until Im needing it for assembly to realize something like this needs machine work or parts.  I then check it every month or so and spray more WD40 on it.  I do the same with the heads, crank stored same way. on end, in a cabinet of fragile stuff i got, same as cam

For an assembled engine, I loosen up the drive train, so the valves all close, mask off all open ports, and rotate the crankshaft every month or so.  Plush I keep a bag over it also.  Just the way I do it, sure there is plenty of other ways that work great also.