Main Menu

Brown Oil

Started by soundcontrol, May 24, 2020, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

This oil came out of my Barracuda Barnfind, 318, dosen't look too good.
Oil is 33 years old. If its water in it, shouldn't it look more greyish? This is brown,
did not discover this when I checked the stick, engine runs fine and no white smoke on startup.

Have not checked the plugs yet.

My game plan now is to flush the engine out with a thin oil, then change it again to a 15W-40 and a new filter,
hopefully it wont turn grey or brown again.

Cuda Cody

Have you done a compression check?  33 years is a long time and a lot of things can happen in that time.  I wouldn't get to worried yet.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 24, 2020, 02:56:38 PM
Have you done a compression check?  33 years is a long time and a lot of things can happen in that time.  I wouldn't get to worried yet.

Nope, have not. I don't have a compression meter, but I can borrow from a friend. Will do that this week.
Just started looking into the engine, was hoping not to tear it apart...

RUNCHARGER

318's are mega forgiving. I would say the oil additives separated or broke down. If it was mine I would change it to 15-40 Rotella or whatever diesel oil you have over there and run it for a few hundred miles. Dump it again and I bet it will be just fine.
Sheldon

Huskidrive

33 years of condensation can build up. Engine hasn't run to burn off moisture that can accumulate.

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

hanksemenec

Once the oil looks like french mousse you have water in the oil. Pressurize the cooling system and check if it is leaking down and if some coolant gets back in the oil. Water does not have to breach the head gasket from cooling gallery to cylinder to get into your oil, there are other ways.

Mopar5

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 24, 2020, 03:50:08 PM
318's are mega forgiving. I would say the oil additives separated or broke down. If it was mine I would change it to 15-40 Rotella or whatever diesel oil you have over there and run it for a few hundred miles. Dump it again and I bet it will be just fine.
That would be my first step new oil and run it for a few hours then drain it and see what it looks like

Mopar5

Be careful using thin oil or cleaners if you break enough gunk all it once it can clog your oil pick up screen and stop oil flow and seize your engine

dodj

Why 15-40 diesel oil? Why not the originally intended 10-30?
I tend to agree with the water in the oil suggestion. Possibly condensation over the years?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Quote from: dodj on May 24, 2020, 06:14:36 PM
Why 15-40 diesel oil? Why not the originally intended 10-30?
I tend to agree with the water in the oil suggestion. Possibly condensation over the years?

I would surmise the diesel oil has high level of cleaning additives.
Condensation along with original oil additives separated.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

hanksemenec

I noticed, you are in Sweden. Was there coolant in the system or just water?

BIGSHCLUNK

something sitting that long may look that way due to years of condensation. I would not panic just yet. 

Chryco Psycho

You want an oil with higher Zinc levels for flat tappet cams , Diesel [Rotella] & agricultural oils have more zinc really you want SJ rated oil if you can find it , you might at a farm store SL is OK also , SN is not good . If there is a lot of gunk inside the engine it can plug the oil pick up , I just fixed one this weekend where the oil had never bben changed & there was no oil pressure , the pick up was gummed up solid .

soundcontrol

Quote from: hanksemenec on May 24, 2020, 06:43:39 PM
I noticed, you are in Sweden. Was there coolant in the system or just water?

Yes, the guys shipping it over added some coolant so it would not freeze.

soundcontrol

Quote from: hanksemenec on May 24, 2020, 04:48:29 PM
Once the oil looks like french mousse you have water in the oil. Pressurize the cooling system and check if it is leaking down and if some coolant gets back in the oil. Water does not have to breach the head gasket from cooling gallery to cylinder to get into your oil, there are other ways.

I did notice a water leak now that I have not seen before, dripping clean water from the K-frame, I think its one of the bolts on the water pump, been messing with those taking the alternator out and loosening up the power steering pump, I believe some go in to the water channels. But it can't get to the oil from there.

Was running it with clean oil last night when it stopped and I could not get it started again, WTF now, I thought....then I realised I removed the gas tank to weld up rust in the trunk!  :haha:
Gotta get that back before I continue this.