Main Menu

carb and kick down linkage

Started by cuda hunter, December 24, 2019, 12:14:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I talk to a ford buddy every couple of days.  He thinks the kickdown adjustments are stupid and wonders why mopar ever did that.  Apparently ford has a different type of kickdown and it doesn't require any of this adjustment and doesn't burn out transmissions like mopars do.

I"m not switching, just saying. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

The Mopar system is excellent. Adjust it once when it was new and leave it alone. Trouble is with 25 year old mismatched parts that have been cobbled together by some stranger problems happen.
If you do a search on Ford kickdown systems you get similar results to Mopar.
With any stock Mopar system I've worked with I set them so at full throttle the KD linkage is back as far as it will go. That doesn't work with yours though so I can't comment on what might be wrong.
Sheldon

Burdar

"Kickdown" linkage is a really bad name for what it actually is.  The lever on the trans increases the line pressure.  The more throttle input, the more line pressure is required to keep the clutches from slipping.  This is why a trans won't live long without the linkage hooked up.  You're basically driving around with very little line pressure and the clutches slip and burn up.

I've adjusted my linkage like what was described above (carb at WOT and linkage all the way back) and have had no problems.  Shifts are not too high like you describe.  If it were mine, I'd back off the adjustment little by little until the light throttle shift points were where I wanted them.

In the late 90's I built a 904 with a TransGo TF2 shift kit.  That kit has a LOT of line pressure.  With that trans, I adjusted the KD linkage the same way.  The light throttle shifts were very quick but weren't high.  :dunno:

cuda hunter

Quote from: Burdar on December 27, 2019, 09:30:38 AM
"Kickdown" linkage is a really bad name for what it actually is.  The lever on the trans increases the line pressure.  The more throttle input, the more line pressure is required to keep the clutches from slipping.  This is why a trans won't live long without the linkage hooked up.  You're basically driving around with very little line pressure and the clutches slip and burn up.

Really is a bad name for it. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Quote from: Burdar on December 27, 2019, 09:30:38 AM
I've adjusted my linkage like what was described above (carb at WOT and linkage all the way back) and have had no problems.  Shifts are not too high like you describe.  If it were mine, I'd back off the adjustment little by little until the light throttle shift points were where I wanted them.

That's what I did.  I'm just not sure if the shift points of 25 and 42 are correct.  Seems correct but I don't have another motor to compare to this in the same way.  Nor have I had lots of good running non tampered with systems. 

cuda hunter

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 27, 2019, 09:24:05 AM
The Mopar system is excellent. Adjust it once when it was new and leave it alone. Trouble is with 25 year old mismatched parts that have been cobbled together by some stranger problems happen.

Isn't that the truth.