Main Menu

A833 no 1st and 2nd

Started by 72 Challenger, June 10, 2019, 11:58:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

It's for a Duster but... the issue is the same.

I am on my way to get a safety and notice that one and two are hard to grab and eventually nothing. Reverse, third and fourth all work wonderfully, clutch works great.

These gears worked when I drove the car in Winnipeg and off the truck. When the car cooled off I took a look underneath. The rod was loose, easily juggled around in every direction and could be moved forward and back with almost no effort. The bolt from the 1-2 rod to the lever in the trans was completely loose.

I'm a complete newbie to four speeds. It was rebuilt 1000 miles ago.

What should I do next, other then tighten that bolt? What other info do you need to help me diagnose the issue.
Someday I will have a J0b.

anlauto

The lever on the side of the transmission fits only one way on the shaft and is held in place by a nut. It's quite possible that the nut is loosened off enough so the lever is not fitting on the internal shifter lever properly .
Make sure the lever is seated properly and tighten the nut. Lock-tite is a good idea there as well.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72 Challenger

Thanks Allan. Going to try that once it's cool.

Very likely to have follow up questions.

anlauto

Make sure this "double D" shaped hole in the lever is seated properly on the transmission's internal shifter lever FIRST before you go ahead and tighten the nut.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72 Challenger

Quote from: anlauto on June 10, 2019, 12:49:15 PM
Make sure this "double D" shaped hole in the lever is seated properly on the transmission's internal shifter lever FIRST before you go ahead and tighten the nut.

Thanks Alan! Worked like a charm. Now that it has four gears again and seems to be working, Mother Nature decides to downpour! At least the shifter doesn't feel dead anymore.

RUNCHARGER

You have to crank those down fairly hard and I blue loctite them as well.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

The y threads can get stretched or worn making it harder to keep them tight , locktite is a good idea .
Glad you got it solved