Main Menu

Carb size for my setup

Started by erik70rt, June 05, 2017, 07:17:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Both Shane and Chryco know what they are talking about.  Get it going and then let us know how it drives.  We can help you once we know what is happening.  I can also walk you through a few things on the phone if needed.  But get it on and see how it works first.

Quote from: erik70rt on June 14, 2017, 06:36:02 AM
Carb is arriving today.  As I have never worked with a Proform, any tips for getting it tuned well?  Air Bleed size/setup?  Fuel line (single or dual feed)?  Linkage adjustments?

erik70rt

Thanks, Cody.  I'll let you all know how it goes.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Chryco Psycho

Make sure you equalize al 4 idle screws &make 1/16 turn adjustments

erik70rt

I didn't get it installed last night.  Do I need one of the 9 1/4" dual feed fuel lines like the double pumpers use?  I also don't have the Mopar adapter for mounting the throttle cable so I'll order one of them today. 

Shane Kelley

I your able you can make your own fuel line with 3/8 brake line from the parts store. Then use a 3/8 flare T to connect the front bowl line and the rear. Are you running automatic trans?

erik70rt

4 speed.  3.55 gears in back.

Shane Kelley

Your stock throttle bracket might work. If it looks like this one in the top pic it will. You won't need the return spring bracket that's in that pic either. You can run the return spring from the bottom of the carb throttle arm back to your cable bracket. Looks cleaner that way. Bottom pic shows the return spring configuration.

erik70rt

Not the bracket - that should work.  I mean the small extension that you need to mount on the carb throttle lever to attach the throttle cable.

Shane Kelley

I didn't need that with my manual trans car but did on the automatic car for kick down. Top pic manual and bottom auto with the bracket you referred to.

erik70rt

Sweet.  But I need that bolt on stud, too. 

Update!  Found one on an old carb I had sitting around! :veryexcited:

Shane Kelley

Remove it from the carb you have on the car. If you have the one like on my automatic car you can cut the long unthreaded part of stud off and put it in the throttle bracket from the other side. Use a thinner lock nut to hold it from the inside instead of the long one that holds it now. 

erik70rt

Another question - pcv line.  It was a straight 3/8" input on the Edelbrock.  For the Proform, I see a 3/8 connection in the back of the carb (presume it's for the brake booster connection) and two small 1/4" connecting ports on the front left of the carb Presuming these are the pcv connections).  I already hooked the distributor to the connection on the side of the carb.  How did anyone hook up the pcv line?  Did you run a 3/8" line off the pcv valve to a connector to reduce the lines to 1/4"?  Did you just hook it to the 3/8" connection on the back? 

Shane Kelley

Quote from: erik70rt on June 16, 2017, 05:44:24 AM
Another question - pcv line.  It was a straight 3/8" input on the Edelbrock.  For the Proform, I see a 3/8 connection in the back of the carb (presume it's for the brake booster connection) and two small 1/4" connecting ports on the front left of the carb Presuming these are the pcv connections).  I already hooked the distributor to the connection on the side of the carb.  How did anyone hook up the pcv line?  Did you run a 3/8" line off the pcv valve to a connector to reduce the lines to 1/4"?  Did you just hook it to the 3/8" connection on the back?
I used the port on the back of the carb for PCV. I have manual brakes so I didn't have to contend with that. But the brakes will need to go on a different port. Usually on the intake manifold itself. Don't try a T fitting for that and the PCV. You will lose vacuum for the brakes if you do that.

erik70rt

I have manual brakes, so that's not an issue.

erik70rt

Got the Proform carb installed today.  Had to do some fuel line re-plumbing, but nothing bad.  All I have to say is............

WOW!!!!  What a difference!   :woohoo: :woohoo: :veryexcited: :veryexcited:

Kudos for the carb recommendation.  :thankyou: It idles MUCH better at 850 rpm.  Response was good off the line and jumped when the 4bbl was kicked.  When you came to a stop it didn't struggle to keep running.  I also didn't have my garage smell like gas when I put it away. 

Now to start the fine tuning.