Main Menu

Challenger wouldn't start today

Started by 1 Wild R/T, August 04, 2018, 10:16:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Just to prove anyone can have a bad day...  Today I went to take the Challenger for a drive & it wouldn't start, turns over fine, initially it fired & died a few times, acted like a fuel problem.... I was ready to get angry at my FiTech system, though maybe it had lost it's program... Went in & reset the initial parameters but it didn't help... So I grabbed some carb spray & it fired up & ran.... Glanced at the gauges & noticed the fuel gauge was pretty low.. But that can't be the problem, after all I drove the car into the garage... Just to be safe I grabbed my gas car & dumped 5 gallons of premium in the tank... And it fired right up... :headbang: :rofl:  Dumbass.... 

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Brads70

I ran mine out of gas on the way home from Carlisle one year about 2 miles from my house, just coasted into the gas station in neutral....  your not alone!  :D

Jay Bee

Ha Ha, that just made my morning - thanks.  Missing the obvious has become standard procedure with these cars.

Strawdawg

Sooner, or later, that happens to most car guys.  I swear modern gas evaporates out of the tank some how.
Steve

1 Wild R/T

I'll admit sometimes I drive a little further on a tank than I should but never thought I was that low.... Surprised me.... And trust me, momma was giving me a bad time about it... Oh well, it runs good once you quench it's thirst.....

RUNCHARGER

I got lucky once: I took my shorty down to Seattle to pick up a box for it. It was a 440 truck and really hard on gas and of course the gauge didn't work. I took my son with me and we had picked up the box and were making time on I-5 when I felt it give a chug near Alger. Well for once I was lucky and there was an off ramp, I strong armed it off I-5 (no P.S. with a dead engine) and coasted down the off ramp and right into a gas station, stopping right at the pumps. Things like that don't generally happen to me.
Sheldon

RzeroB

You're too hard on yourself Randy! On the plus side, instead of tearing it all apart looking for a problem you went with the simplest solution first ... and you were right! No harm, no foul.  :ohyeah:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 05, 2018, 10:50:05 AM
I got lucky once: I took my shorty down to Seattle to pick up a box for it. It was a 440 truck and really hard on gas and of course the gauge didn't work. I took my son with me and we had picked up the box and were making time on I-5 when I felt it give a chug near Alger. Well for once I was lucky and there was an off ramp, I strong armed it off I-5 (no P.S. with a dead engine) and coasted down the off ramp and right into a gas station, stopping right at the pumps. Things like that don't generally happen to me.
:haha: :haha: I had A vary similar experience!! with A tow truck no less.   

chargerdon

I think FI is more sensitive to low fuel than the old carburetor cars.....   

nsmall

If I was willing to admit my "moments" here, it would be embarrassing as there are far to many.  Thanks for sharing and reminding us all that everyone is human.  Glad to hear it wasnt something major.

HP_Cuda

Don't you just wish fuel was optional?

:haha: :yes:

I remember running one of my rides out of fuel and lucky for me there was a gas station just down the hill so I coasted right down to it. Perfect!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Rumple

My fuel gauge/sending unit currently operate in an alternate reality so I've gotten into the habit of using the tripmeter to guesstimate what's in the tank. Two years ago I failed to account for the winter evaporation and ended up running out of gas on the highway (I-480/I-77 interchange) just after dusk. My wife and dogs were in the car with me. Scary as hell when cars are zooming by +60MPH and you're a sitting duck. All I could think about was some bozo with a cell phone slamming into us because they needed to update their relationship status.