Main Menu

Clutch fan question?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, May 30, 2018, 11:18:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

I'm guessing it's tha same measurements/assy but......  :notsure:  383 vs HEMI?  I want to make sure so there are no shroud issues

JS29

Bob at Glenn Ray or tony's mopar part's would have the answer to that question.

6bblgt

in '70 from the factory they are the same parts

HEMI:
STANDARD 2806070 torque drive fan & 2863216 7-blade fan

383:
(with OPTIONAL axle package) 2806070 torque drive fan & 2863216 7-blade fan

6bblgt

26" shroud is the same for all '70 e-bodies 2998326 (used other years & bodies also)
26" radiator is the same dimensionally for '70 B & E-bodies, some have cores w/more capacity

BIGSHCLUNK

All good, thanks for the confirmation.

1 Wild R/T

And if you need a fan clutch that moves considerably more air.... Take a look at a Hayden 2797.... It's a severe duty clutch so it drives the fan at a much higher percentage.... 

Standard Duty Thermal
􏰀 Turns fan 60-70% of shaft speed when engaged. 􏰀 Disengage to 20-30% of the shaft speed
􏰀 Used with lighter pitch fans. (1-1/2" of pitch)
􏰀 Flat plate impeller design with up to 11.4 Sq. In.
of working surface.
􏰀 Identified by a smooth steel faceplate & thermal spring
assembly on the front side.

Severe Duty Thermal
􏰀 Turns the fan 80-90% of the shaft speed when engaged. 􏰀 Turns the fan 20-30% of the shaft speed when
disengaged.
􏰀 Used with deeper pitch fans. (2 -1/2" of pitch). 􏰀 Land and groove design with up to 72 Sq. In.
of working area.
􏰀 Larger working surface provides cooler running
and longer life expectancy.
􏰀 Thicker body and deep finned faceplate dissipate more heat. 􏰀 Can be used in place of many
heavy-duty clutches.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: It's about $20 more but worth it I think.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 30, 2018, 07:10:23 PM

I tried one of the shorty "Jaguar" clutches, the car ran warm from the day it was installed & a couple years later got was hitting 220ish.... First I tried a 160 thermostat... No improvement so I convinced myself the radiator was plugging up, had it rodded & the guy said only about 70% of the tubes were clear because when he tried the others they felt like they would blow out the side rather than push the debris through.... I tried it for a year but it was still 210ish so the next year I had the radiator recored..... Still 210.....

I started looking around & found Hayden had released this particular clutch just for vintage muscle cars with limited space & allot of heat to deal with....

The "Shorty" Jag clutch is 3.65.. This clutch is 3.65 so it's the same size.... It doesn't have slots to bolt to the water pump, (I always hated those) instead it has two drilled patterns.... And the pilot hole is .625 so no adapter bushing either..... These were designed with our needs in mind & they work.... 

Bolted it on last year & the car hasn't seen 175 yet... I need to put a 180 thermostat back in it.....  Oh the day it saw 173 on my handheld controller I was nearing the top of Old Priests Grade on a 95 degree day....  If you aren't familiar with the Old Priests Grade it has an average grade of 13.9% with a maximum grade of 19.8%... You climb just over 1500 feet in under two miles....

Oh, if you don't want to hear your fan don't use this clutch.....

Strawdawg

That's good to know...I used the shorty Jag clutch on my 526 and it is running a bit warmer than I had anticipated.  Looks like this could be the solution
Steve

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 30, 2018, 08:13:25 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 30, 2018, 07:10:23 PM

Oh, if you don't want to hear your fan don't use this clutch.....

You obviously have not seen my video of NIKKI'n first fire up... you wont hear no clutch!  :haha:  :haha:  :haha:

6bblgt

..... I see you are using a 22" radiator  :takealook:

the fan opening on a 26" '69 shroud is ~20.5" diameter & the 2863216 (2.25" pitch 7-blade)  fan is 18.5" diameter - the 2863215 (2.25" pitch 7-blade) is 18.0" diameter if space is an issue  :dunno:

the fixed fan on a 383 w/22" radiator originally would've been 2863213 (1.50" pitch 7-blade) & 18.0" diameter

BIGSHCLUNK

Thanks for the info.. thats why Im asking. They all "look" bout the same but.. ya I need to keep my shroud :thinking:

Chryco Psycho

I often use the Flex a lite 6 blade fan if that helps

dodj

Wild, don't you think your engine would be better served with  a 195 degree tstat? Your engine isn't at design operating temp at 175.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: dodj on June 01, 2018, 07:19:40 PM
Wild, don't you think your engine would be better served with  a 195 degree tstat? Your engine isn't at design operating temp at 175.

As I mentioned, I plan to put a 180 back in it..... I know modern cars use 195 but I prefer the extra cushion of a 180....