Main Menu

Distributor drive gear shot!

Started by blown motor, July 24, 2023, 01:33:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

This happened on a friend's 340. The driven gear on the distributor shaft got chewed down to where it wouldn't grab any more. Thus his engine died. How common is this? Someone told him this gear should be changed every 10,000 miles, I've never heard of that before. Will driving style affect it? He gets on it hard often. Looking for your thoughts on this situation. Picture of old gear and new gear.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

blown motor

Bullitt-

News to me but Hughes makes this statement
High volume, or high pressure oil pumps are not recommended as they accelerate wear on any cam gear and oil pump drive gear.

At least this one is not bronze
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=QS0gU21hbGwgQmxvY2sgIkxBIg==&level1=T2lsaW5nIFN5c3RlbQ==&partid=34486
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Brads70

I have the same on my 451with a hyd roller cam, and I have changed it out but there was little wear on it. You need to use these bronze gears with steel roller cams, pretty standard, and yes I would change them out at 10,000
How many miles were on the gear Murray?

blown motor

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on July 24, 2023, 04:13:21 PM
About 30,000 Brad.

Well ya... got your moneys worth outta that one then. Check the cam gear, likely ok . I hope.

blown motor

I put that thought in his mind. It's all back together now so I hope it was good.

Chryco Psycho

You need to run a brass drive gear on a billet roller cam , the iron gears will chew up the cam , needs to be replaced regularly , part of the downside of roller cams .