Main Menu

distributor for rb, rebuild or aftermarket

Started by 70RTSE383, September 18, 2019, 03:55:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

looking at what to do for a distributor for my 440. it is going to be a mild build, stealth heads cam, headers intake carb. I am looking for good performance and reliability without spending more than necessary. I hear OEM units are very good but need tuning and electronic internals. I have the original that came with my 440 that was likely in a c body. I also have a pertronix ignitor in my 383 that will be available to use. If I go poem is the pertronix inside an poem ok or should I get an electronic poem that has been rebuilt or go aftermarket. there is a guy who's name is Joe White on fb that sells ones he has rebuilt. Anyone know know anything about him?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Chryco Psycho

I like to use the OEM electronic , I feel the OEM is more reliable than Pertronics is , I would weld up the advance slots to limit the factory curve though  , I Would use a Rev-N-Ator ECU with it .
Mopar Perf sells a dist similar to the oem with adjustable mechanical advance als , Mancini or Roseville should have those

Cudakiller70

What is poem? Or is that just spell check oem?
Your 440 is points distributor?
Don't know of Joe White, just looked at his FB.  But here is a guy who also rebuilds and recurves distributors. He posts on two forums for e bodiesonly and for a bodiesonly quite regularly https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/quality-rebuilt-mopar-distributors.19098/#post-108396
OEM distributors are very good. A Points distributor you can go with pertronix or MSD ignition box.

Added: FWIW I have no experience with the rebuilder, would think by now if he wasn't doing a good job you would  of heard about it

kawahonda

Faron Rhoads. https://www.facebook.com/Total-Performance-Ent-of-Pa-244861159762608/?ref=br_rs

He's been installing pertronix for 30+ YEARS professionally and has never had a single issue. He will recurve it and dial it in using a sun machine based on your needs.

It's been said that the few failures that you do hear are because people don't follow installation directions.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Chryco Psycho

Often the case as the directions are not nessisarily clear , if you connect the red wire to + coil as suggested you run the Pertronics at 7-8 V instead of 12Vwhich will cause them to fail .

70RTSE383

Thanks for all the feedback. I did find Joe on fb and he has a sun machine as well. Since I have a pertronics igniter I will probably use that with a rebuilt and recurved distributor from one of these gentlemen. Also have the advance slots done as well.😊
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Cudakiller70

Quote from: 70RTSE383 on September 21, 2019, 09:06:43 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I did find Joe on fb and he has a sun machine as well. Since I have a pertronics igniter I will probably use that with a rebuilt and recurved distributor from one of these gentlemen. Also have the advance slots done as well.😊
Using the one from your 383? How long has this been working for you? I love the concept just nervous about reliability. I too have heard about failures because of improper install, though many really like them.

Marksmopar1

Hi, I see this is an older post .. but question..

I installed a Pertronix 2 and Flame thrower coil to match in my 440 dizzy.
Red to + on coil, the other - to coil as per instruction.
  I also jumpered internally my ballast resistor allowing power to travel through with zero resistance. The ballast is in place for the stock look.
  I see where its recommended not to place the Red wire on + coil but to place it on a 12V source.
Question: with the ballast jumped is it ok to have the Red on the + side of coil or should I still move it?
  Seems to me the restriction is gone from the ballast and 12V will now be at the coil, yes/ No?
I have used the Mopar Perf dizzy with the orange 505 box in other cars for years, no issues. I am trying something new.. I have the Mopar stuff, set aside if I choose to go that route.. But I would like to test out this Pertronix I have been hearing about and just want to get it right..Suggestions?
  Thank you!

Chryco Psycho

I would not connect to te coil but aat te blue 12v feed wire instead

Marksmopar1

Chryco thanks!
I was your post that I saw regarding the +Red on the coil.
  This is what made me question the instructions from Petronix.
    So, basically run the +Red wire directly to the Blue on the ballast or Volt Reg.. Or maybe the alternator which is closer and that field wire is the same wire?

Marksmopar1

I was just checking out the color elect. drawing and the +coil wire if I jumper the ballast should get 12V..Yes?
Coil + goes to the ballast the other side of the ballast is from the alt. field and the other field alt goes to the Reg. they all meet up... should be 12V..?
  Maybe Im wrong in what I am interpreting in the drawings?