Main Menu

Engine choice for the Cuda

Started by 74CudaChief, May 31, 2019, 12:10:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74CudaChief

I have a 74 Cuda that I'm turning into a restomod. I have the 360LA engine and stock transmission that came with it.
I was looking at a stroker kit to make the 360 a 408ci. motor, but I would like to have a Hemi, but I can only afford the new 3rd Gen 392 modern Hemi swap, not an older Hemi that goes for $20 - 30,000.  :dunno:

If I do the 408, I will go with EFI and 3" exhaust.

Has anyone been in a cuda with a stroked 360 to 408 and a 392 swap?
If you have, what did you like better? Pro's and Con's for each?
General thoughts and experience with either one?

Thank you for your advice and experience!  :thankyou:

Brian
Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).
Mods: US Car Tool Level 3 Chassis Stiffening Kit with mini-tubs.

WCC

I've seen a lot of bad press iro the 3rd gen Hemis with dropped valves etc. Not sure how common this is and perhaps it was fixed, but personally I prefer the period correct motors in Cudas. Over here just about everybody doing a restomod uses a 3rd gen hemi off a donor wreck so it is becoming more common.
Perhaps also consider a 440 - you can make plenty of HP with them.

Katfish

For a restomod, 3G would be the only choice.
The older motors are just not street friendly.

Why use 50yr tech when there's better.

1Burgfish

:wrenching: I have experienced a stuck lifter on my 2013 5.7 hemi that ended up whipping out my lobes on my cam; then found out that that is a common issue with the 3rd gen hemi's. Not sure if they corrected that problem with the new ones.... :thinking:

7212Mopar

I got a 416 AT for my 73 Challenger, now with Fitech EFI. I also have a 2012 392 with a 6 speed. I know this is not exactly what you are looking for but just to give you some perspective. The old car is more powerful, louder and no mistaken that you are driving an old car even after suspension, brake and steering upgrade. The new car can get up to speed easily, idle nicely and also plenty of power. What it does not have is the old school feel, the sound of the engine and exhaust tone of the older muscle. If that is important to you then go with the 408 or a Gen 2 HEMI. But if your goal is to make your Cuda drives like a modern car then go start with the new Gen 3 HEMI but know that you need more than just the engine.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

There are advantages both ways .
New Hemi it would depend how you got it , new crate has a warranty but it is costly , getting a Hemi from a wreck you still need a lot of parts to make it work . You need headers oil pan & pick up , mounts , wiring & computer , even with the crate you still need the same parts less the wiring & computer .

Going with an LA 360 the engines are almost free stroker kits are reasonable & they are very reliable , but if you add Multiport EFI you can add around 4k to the price to get the same drivability as a 3rd gen Hemi .

My bet is you will get more for the $ with an LA build

RUNCHARGER

If that's an original L-code 360 car it's pretty rare and pretty neat. It if is I would stroke the 360. If it isn't an L-code do whatever floats your boat.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

I'd certainly do my 3gen swap again, unless I'm going for originality, I won't be building another old engine anytime soon. Overall quality of sealing surfaces and servicability come into play for me as well. No more problematic valve cover gaskets, scraping timing cover gaskets, oil pan/main seal leaks, etc when you need to dig into an engine.

I have 6,000mi on the Hemi swap and the car is really dialed in at the moment. Love it...but I do want more power [basic 5.7L/365whp]  :headbang:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

Technology has certainly improved over 50 years for the most part  :bigthumb:

303 Mopar

I had a 408 in my '71 Challenger and currently have a 392 in my '70 Cuda. Overall, the 408 pulled harder and had more of that classic muscle car sound. But that's it.

The 392 still pulls hard, is very quick off the line, sounds good and is absolutely trouble free.

I also installed a Holley Sniper EFI on the 505 stroker in my Charger and love that too. The trouble free starts was my objective, but the instant throttle response has been a great surprise. My advice here is you can install it if you're somewhat familiar with electrical and really take your time, or have an experienced shop do it. Either way, after the install I would recommend having a speed shop hook up a laptop and dial in the fuel tables for maximum performance.

You have to ask yourself a few things:
- how much do you like/want to work on your engine
- would you like a car that you can drive anywhere anytime, including long road trips
- are you dedicated to "keeping it old school"
- would you sacrifice reliability and almost maintenance free over the. Old school muscle car sound

RUNCHARGER

Injection is a must have on any non stock build IMO. So figuring that into an old school engine takes away a lot of problems. I agree new engine gasket technology (or lack of gaskets) is a real bonus as is getting a compatible trans with the new style engine.
It's really a personal decision, I am into the cars for nostalgia and a new style engine, seats and dash don't do it for me but it does work for lots of other people.
Sheldon