Main Menu

Clutch issues are finally fixed !!! :D

Started by Racer57, September 07, 2023, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

I had a shop switch out my 4 speed for a used "completely rebuilt" Tremec 5 speed. A few years later I put in an HD Ram Diaphragm pressure plate while I had the Tremec out to replace the rear bushing in the tranny. (completely rebuilt ggrrrrr) But, ever since day one the clutch pedal never did feel right. Too long of throw and took more effort than I thought it should.  But just blew it off thinking it was because it was a heavy-duty pressure plate. Recently pulled tranny out and replaced the fork bracket which had broken and repositioned the Z bar (bell crank) that they had put in wrong bellhousing hole, that I hadn't previously noticed.  Hope that everything would now finally work properly. It didn't.
Decided to get a 3-finger diaphragm. Didn't want to bother my buddy again so I took it to a local shop. Like a brain dead frikkin idiot I had bought a complete kit for a mopar which has 23 spline and not the 26-spline clutch for tremec. Shop called and told me. We decided to go ahead and replace only the pressure plate. They called and said that if anything it was harder to push the pedal. So, they agreed to take everything back apart and put everything back just like it was. They had agreed that when they first pulled car into shop that they could easily tell what I was talking about, but hoped for the best.

I'm no idiot when it comes to adjusting clutch's, I've done it more times than I can count on various vehicles including farm trucks.

I have no idea wtf they did, but it works perfectly now!!  Also considering the shop pulled everything out and put back together twice, they only charged me $744.78 !!  Owner said they had never worked on a car that was spotless on the bottom and I never showed them any attitude, so they gave me a break on $$$ !! 

dodj

Glad it's all sorted out!  :worship:

Kinda wish I knew what actually fixed the issue..but....take it as a win.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57

Quote from: dodj on September 07, 2023, 08:21:43 PM
Glad it's all sorted out!  :worship:

Kinda wish I knew what actually fixed the issue..but....take it as a win.

You and me both. The guy that did the work, doesn't even know what changed. But he did say that it definitely is better from when he pulled it into the shop.    :thinking: