Main Menu

Fuel pump Question

Started by bentpshrods, February 10, 2018, 01:29:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

As a side note I always use mechanical pumps But I always modify them , I take them apart & drill out the restricted ares in the casting , behind the threads where the fuel line fittings are installed the casting can restrict down to less than 1/4" ID , not much point in using 3/8" line when the pump is not even 5/16" inside , I enlarge the hole to the maximum without damaging the threads , , there is also a hole inside that should be opened up too .

Cudakiller70

I'm going electric because of fuel bowl evaporation. Not sure if it's just a Krazyfornia gas mixture problem or not.
CP is right about size, that's what I'm finding with some fittings.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 06, 2018, 06:03:33 PM
As a side note I always use mechanical pumps But I always modify them , I take them apart & drill out the restricted ares in the casting , behind the threads where the fuel line fittings are installed the casting can restrict down to less than 1/4" ID , not much point in using 3/8" line when the pump is not even 5/16" inside , I enlarge the hole to the maximum without damaging the threads , , there is also a hole inside that should be opened up too .

I never noticed that. Is that on the Carter mechanical pumps?

Chryco Psycho

Carter & Holly mechanical pumps that can be disassembled

rdf

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I have a similar question that I'm hoping to find the answer to.  1973 440 stroked to a 499 and it needs a fuel pump.  After reading a lot of threads (including this one), I think it's best I go with a mechanical pump.  That being said, if I google Carter Performance Fuel Pumps or something similar (Holley, etc.) then I get a wide array of different models to choose from.  How do I know which is the correct one for my motor?  For instance, this Google search on Carter returns many results, all having numerous model numbers:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Carter+muscle+car+series+mechanical+fuel+pump
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

Chryco Psycho

Only 2 on the top row Holley or Carter
https://www.manciniracing.com/search-results.html?catalog=chucker54&query=449+fuel+pump+&Submit=Search
Check with Dave @ Roseville he may even be able to get a discount , I know he deals with Mancini
Make sure you check the pushrod length while you are in there  :bigthumb:

rdf

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 08, 2019, 11:13:43 AM

Why?  What's the significance of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

Brads70

Quote from: rdf on May 08, 2019, 01:17:29 PM

Somewhat common for the pushrod to wear down not allowing enough stroke on the fuel pump , making people think the fuel pump is bad. :wave:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Brads70 on May 08, 2019, 02:32:23 PM

Somewhat common for the pushrod to wear down not allowing enough stroke on the fuel pump , making people think the fuel pump is bad. :wave:

Yeah, and the replacement sold by Mopar Performance wears down allot quicker than the original so IMO I find a original with no measurable wear....

rdf

Ok, so this won't really apply to me cause my motor hasn't been turned over since being built 8 years ago.

Brads70

Quote from: rdf on May 08, 2019, 03:01:34 PM

Ok, so this won't really apply to me cause my motor hasn't been turned over since being built 8 years ago.

Should be ok , easy enough to check though just to put your mind at ease should be 3.250" long I believe.....

chargerdon

make sure the problem isnt simply a vapor lock type of problem.   In both my 66 Charger with 4V 383, and my 74 challenger with small block 360, i moved the rubber fuel line to around to back firewall then over to the carb, .because in HOT weather on a full wot run, i could run out of fuel after about 5 secs...   moved the line and problem goes away... 

I also had a holley blue 14psi electric pump on my 66 charger and a fuel regulator and hated the damn thing because it was NOISY as hell.  It also had the problem of fuel starvation on a full wot run in hot weather until i moved the line.   

Chryco Psycho

This would be assuming that the pushrod was checked or changed 8 years ago , often they were never removed in the last 50 years

RUNCHARGER

Yes: It's actually something to be checked on yearly maintenance.
Sheldon