Main Menu

Gaskets for Cast Valve Covers

Started by Cudajason, April 30, 2021, 02:43:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

I purchased these Moroso valve cover gaskets over the winter.

Opened them today and they say only for use with valve covers with a flat rail, not cast valve covers.

Of course I am running cast valve covers, so crap...I guess I am not installing them today.

Any recommendations on gaskets for cast valve covers??
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

If they fit comfortably inside the casting edge, they'll be fine....I've used those on several different types of covers...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

You want a gasket that is thick & soft enough to adapt to the uneven surface , you already have the gaskets so you might as well try them, they might seal OK anyway .

Cudajason

Thanks guys.

I bolted on the valve covers using the morose gaskets. 

They seem to work fine. 

I will get a few heat cycles through the engine and torque everything back up and see how the seal.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Scooter

Good news.. I was looking at these and noted the same flat rail requirement. I have a set of the Fel-Pro Rubber-Coated Fiber sitting on the shelf but would prefer to use the Moroso as a serviceable solution. Let us know if they hold a seal.  :bigthumb:

MOPAR MITCH

I recommend the Fel-Pro Performance "Cork-Lam" SET #1646... high-grade cork-rubber both sides which are laminated to a thin center steel core... rigid, conformable and holds their shape.... especially after repeated removals of the cover (for valvetrain inspection/adjustments, etc).   It's what I use on those similar cast Edelbrock covers that have a raised sealing bead on their flange.

I'm also a former Fel-Pro applications gasket engineer.... worked with Fel-Pro for 30 years in their aftermarket division.

Pending the actual valve cover sealing area, you may have to slightly trim the gasket -- anyone's gasket -- to fit within the flange area.  The cork-rubber is easy to trim just at those possible areas for best fitment.

:unitedstates: :ohyeah:

Cudajason

Quote from: Scooter on May 06, 2021, 11:07:56 AM
Good news.. I was looking at these and noted the same flat rail requirement. I have a set of the Fel-Pro Rubber-Coated Fiber sitting on the shelf but would prefer to use the Moroso as a serviceable solution. Let us know if they hold a seal.  :bigthumb:

I will provide an update once I get some miles on it.

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on May 06, 2021, 12:42:06 PM
I recommend the Fel-Pro Performance "Cork-Lam" SET #1646... high-grade cork-rubber both sides which are laminated to a thin center steel core... rigid, conformable and holds their shape.... especially after repeated removals of the cover (for valvetrain inspection/adjustments, etc).   It's what I use on those similar cast Edelbrock covers that have a raised sealing bead on their flange.

I'm also a former Fel-Pro applications gasket engineer.... worked with Fel-Pro for 30 years in their aftermarket division.

Pending the actual valve cover sealing area, you may have to slightly trim the gasket -- anyone's gasket -- to fit within the flange area.  The cork-rubber is easy to trim just at those possible areas for best fitment.

:unitedstates: :ohyeah:

Thanks @MOPAR MITCH if these don't work I will try the Fel-Pros.

Any pics of your valve covers.  I have not seem many like the Eddys on mine.

Jason