Main Menu

Best Valve Cover Gaskets

Started by 303 Mopar, April 19, 2017, 03:17:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

I'm my experience BB Mopar engines are notorious for leaking around the valve covers, especially on the passenger side in the rear.  What have you found to be the best valve cover gaskets to use, and do you use any silicone or just install them dry?  Any other steps in replacing them to help prevent leaking you've found to be helpful?

1 Wild R/T

I have about 2500 miles on mine since I dropped the engine out & went through it... So far completely dry  (looks for fingers crossed icon) I used a few tricks on the rear seal, corners of the valley pan, fuel pump & the valve covers.... On the valve covers I used 3/8" thick Aluminum spacers since the stock covers needed more clearance for the rocker arms & having that 3/8" flange keeps the pressure much more even on the gaskets... I glued the covers to the spacers & used Felpro high temp rubber/cork gaskets dry...   

Cuda Cody

The first thing I always do is make sure the valve covers are flat.  Just like doing body work on a car, check to see if the metal is high or low and hammer (softly) it so it's perfectly flat.  And then if you use a little sealant they pretty much will never leak.   :alan2cents:

bc3j

This is an unorthodox solution.  I used only Permatex right stuff and no gasket. That said, it will not be a practical solution to those who need to maintain specific valve lash measurements or need to remove the covers regularly. My engine is stock and not necessary to continually adjust the valves. All head bolts and valve train were checked for correct torque before installing the valve covers. I used new stock covers to make sure they were flat. Been 3 years now and no leaks. Will most definitely not be a solution for everyone.

RUNCHARGER

Hammer and dolly the flanges and rubber/cork. Glue them to the covers if you like.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

I'm using the blue Moroso valve cover gaskets with the correct torque on them and no leaks.

Reusable too!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

MoparDave

90% ofmy customers like the OEM rubber cork. AMD makes a good replacement,

but we also have the blue morosso.
Moroso Perm-Align valve cover gaskets are manufactured from 30-durometer rubber, which is molded over and vulcanized to a rigid steel frame. They won't leak, blow out, or get sucked in, the way stock or inferior-quality aftermarket gaskets can. These gaskets feature superior-quality rubber and steel, which outlast cork-and-rubber composite designs to provide years of dependable service, especially if you frequently have to remove and reinstall the valve covers

I have these in stock.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

dave73

Yup I have this sitting on my bench to put on because I was experiencing the same issues with the felpro cork. What is the proper torque spec?

Burdar

I've heard really good things about Superformance gaskets. They are a pink colored material. The material isn't supposed to burn.

mopar jack

I have run the blue hi temp silicon gaskets and while the driver side is still on the car the pass side was cooked and all coked and cracked. The stock manifold is just to close to the valve cover. I had a motor home exhaust gasket on the pass side and it helped shield the valve cover but eventually it leaked and had to be replaced. I like the superformance gaskets.

chal340

Quote from: Burdar on April 19, 2017, 07:02:22 PM
I've heard really good things about Superformance gaskets. They are a pink colored material. The material isn't supposed to burn.

I have these Superformance gaskets and no leaks at all. I bought them at Hughes engine if I remember.
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

cataclysm80

Quote from: MoparDave on April 19, 2017, 05:31:11 PM
90% ofmy customers like the OEM rubber cork. AMD makes a good replacement,

but we also have the blue morosso.
Moroso Perm-Align valve cover gaskets are manufactured from 30-durometer rubber, which is molded over and vulcanized to a rigid steel frame. They won't leak, blow out, or get sucked in, the way stock or inferior-quality aftermarket gaskets can. These gaskets feature superior-quality rubber and steel, which outlast cork-and-rubber composite designs to provide years of dependable service, especially if you frequently have to remove and reinstall the valve covers

I have these in stock.

I think I'm using those blue Morosso ones on my 'Cuda.   I know it was some kind of blue rubber and was supposed to be reusable.
No leaks in 12 years, and I haven't had to mess with them, so I couldn't be happier.

HP_Cuda

What I have been told is 6ft/lbs but here is the real issue. Make sure all bolts are torqued down to the same spec for no leaks. Some folks like to set it just to finger tight which could lead to uneven tightening and hence leaking. I have found that when trying to just do it by finger I get leaks at the ends.

Quote from: dave73chally on April 19, 2017, 05:49:13 PM
Yup I have this sitting on my bench to put on because I was experiencing the same issues with the felpro cork. What is the proper torque spec?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cataclysm80

:iagree:  I always use a torque wrench, and go to the specs published in the Factory Service Manual.