Main Menu

Help! Distributor Thrust Bushing/Collar....need one!

Started by kawahonda, December 21, 2018, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Mopar 2932988 is no longer made.

Does anyone have any thrust bushings for the distributor laying around? Got my new recurved OEM distributor back and it looks beautiful...I'll post pics later. But the bushing is cracked and it fall apart.

Does anyone make these out of bronze or a better material than the plastic that dodge used?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Brads70

If your stuck I could likely make you one if I had dimensions. Trouble is it would take 2-4 weeks to get to your via post office? LOL

Cudakiller70

Wouldn't a hardware store shaft collar work? You would have to drill for roll pin.

kawahonda

Yea, you could probably get by with one at the hardware store as long as you drill for it.

Good news is a forum member is saving the day!

I wonder if someone around here makes them out of brass or some other material. Would be nice to have a spare around.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: kawahonda on December 21, 2018, 05:24:03 PM
Yea, you could probably get by with one at the hardware store as long as you drill for it.

Good news is a forum member is saving the day!

I wonder if someone around here makes them out of brass or some other material. Would be nice to have a spare around.

I'm a little surprised no one has ever offered better ones. Be easy to make. I've broken the lousy plastic ones too.

Cudajason

I have a few distrubutors laying around. Happy to pull one apart and send you what you need!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

kawahonda

Well, I spend the past couple hours trying to get this mopar collar on.

First, it needed to be sanded quite a bit in order for the holes to align with the pin. Once I got it on, I wasn't happy that one side was .025" and the other side was .050". Looks wonky.

Total end shaft play is supposed to be .050" or so, so I'm not close. I'd hate to continue sanding on it and risk splitting it from multiple installations.

I guess it's time to give that eBay dude $35 for a NOS one. That one doesn't even look like the one that came off it. With a flange on it like that, you end up with whatever play you end up with.

Are we sure it's .050" end play?

Cudakiller70

I don't have a manual, but I thought Up/down shaft gap at collar should be about .007 - .012? Collar ID looks too big for shaft or is it just the picture angle? You can spin the collar and drill a new hole.

Jay Bee

Thought I'd Google this for fun and spotted one from Bill Rolik for $20.00, but it looks totally different.
http://www.billrolikenterprises.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2932988-HD

kawahonda

I checked the manual but failed to see a spec. But .007 - .012 sounds way more like it.

Those set-screw ones I do not like. Something about a pin going through both sides is more secure.

Thanks for the spec numbers. That sounds much more like it.