Main Menu

Distributor Bushing

Started by tparker, May 05, 2023, 09:53:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Hi All,
As I noted in another post, my distributor bushing came out. It appeared that it was installed but if you use a certain one it needs to be "burneshed" to open up the whole after installing. Apparently the opening shrinks when you install it. This is according to several posts. But the brass bushings don't do this.... apparently.

Anyways, does any one have any tips on installing a bushing with out the $100+ tool? My thoughts were to git a metal rod and have it milled at a machine shop, then I though I could just get a rod and weld something to it like thick washers or nut. I saw a video where I guy removed one with a slide hammer and thought I could reverse the process. Just thought you all have a ton of experience and maybe have a cool hack.

Thanks
Tom

MoparLeo

Show us what you are working with.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

tparker

Here are some photos I found on the web as I'm running out the door. The bushings I have are bronze similar to the one shown below. On e pic shows where it is installed and the other is the tool that is $100. Apparently the original material is Oilite and it deforms a bit when you install it and the open needs to be opened up a bit by burnishing it. That is part of what that tools does. Apparently the bronze bushings don't need that done. I read one post where someone just used a socket to drive it in. I figure there are many ways to get it in and was just seeing if anyone had a cleaver simple method before I design something overly complicated.

According to this post on for A bodies only forum
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/oil-pump-intermediate-drive-shaft-bushing-install.470903/
QuoteIt's helpful to understand what's going in when you install and burnish the bushing. Once you understand, you can then make your choice on how much you want to half-*** the job. Half-assing the job is a long standing and very popular tradition within the automotive world.

The bushing is made of Oilite, which is a bronze based material Chrysler developed and soon became a standard across many industries for bushed applications. It carries its own oil embedded in its pores. Compared to normal bronze bushings, it lubricates much better and is far less likely to 'skid' on the shaft or run dry.

When you install a new bushing, it is already a little tight and the 'squeeze' it gets when driven it only makes it tighter. Hence, the need to burnish...which is a fancy way of saying you are going to size the ID of the bushing by smushing it out to size. Oilite is fairly soft. Burnishing is important as Oilite does not cut as well as we'd like...if you're going to cut it, you need a nice sharp edge which most people won't have. What's more, Oilite really dislikes any sort of abrasive grinding/cutting....the abrasives will stick in the Oilite then go to work on the shaft once you start spinning it.

If you're installing a new bushing that doesn't require burnishing, you might have gotten lucky. Or, you might have installed a bushing that is too loose, or one that is 'good and tight' but does not have the contact area it should have...in other words, it's only making contact in a few places that will wear down soon enough and you end up with a loose fit. The burnishing ensures a good, proper contact fit.

When I was about 13, I installed a new bushing and the shaft wouldn't fit. I read about burnishers but I sure didn't have one or the money to buy one...so I spun the shaft in sandpaper for a long time in a drill until it fit. I would be embarrassed to admit that, but I was 13 and at least least little dumber than I am now. For me, doing the job right is a sign of personal growth....if I half-assed it today, I'd feel like I was just as dumb as a 13 year old.

bdschnei

Bret

tparker

Thanks. I have their cam and springs and was going to rent their spring removal tool. I had no idea they also had this one.

Chryco Psycho

Can be done carefully with a sanding roll

tparker

Thanks. I ended up tapping in a bronze bushing and it fit great.  I used a 1/2" socket extension to drive it in. The distributor isn't quite flush to the block but I think it is the O-ring. I'm gonna mess with that tomorrow.