Main Menu

Hemi project, Junk Parts & Leftovers

Started by Flatdad, March 20, 2019, 07:51:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

aussiemark

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 26, 2019, 10:06:14 PM
It will probably run hard !!
I agree whenever you build one from parts lying around and given to you by friends they always tend to run better then they should and often when you spend a heap of money and over engineer things you have nothing but problems. I once bought an engine that was in pieces and sitting in a wheelbarrow that was half full of water (left outside in the rain) it was cheap and I cleaned it up and spent the minimum in parts, friends heard about it and some donated parts for the cause and that engine was a monster it surprised all of us.

Flatdad

A big thanks to ScottSmith_Harms for the 4.15" crank, it arrived safe and sound and looks great! How parts are packaged for shipping is a huge pet peeve with me, Scott gets an A+ for doing it right. I wouldn't hesitate to buy parts from him again.

In addition to that big piece of the puzzle, I sniped a set of spark plug tubes and o-rings off Ebay for $60 today. They're used of course. A $40 savings, every little bit helps.

Now that the crank is here, I can order: 8 bolt flex plate, flex plate bolts 8x, rod bearings (narrowed), ring set (4.310"), crank snout key, crank pulley, & crank pulley bolts. That will completely round out the rotating assembly, then its off to the machine shop for machining+balancing.

Before I order these parts next week, anybody have them new/used & looking to sell? I'm all ears.

Chryco Psycho

Nice
SCott is good to deal with , he has been in the business a long time  :bigthumb:

Flatdad

My spark plug tubes showed up. The o-rings are a little rough around the edges, but usable.

I ordered a couple new parts. After comparing Summit, Ebay, & Mancini Racing, I managed to find a few steeply discounted parts on Amazon of all places.

I nabbed a set of comp solid lifters, an 8 bolt flex plate, & a K&N E1980 oval air filter.

There was a NOS cam on Ebay I decided to take a chance on. It was significantly cheaper than a new one. Whether it will be compatible with my lifters remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, its a single bolt cam, and my spare timing set is for a 3-bolt. So, now I gotta decide if trying out this cam is worth a new timing set, or if I should just ignore the low-buck approach and buy a good new cam. Hmm...

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Flatdad

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 04, 2019, 05:53:51 PM
Almost certainly a B-engine cam.

It has 'Hemi' stamped in the end along with the other numbers. Not too keen on using it though, it looks pretty darn aggressive. I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there, nowhere close to the assembly stage yet.

Chryco Psycho

The cam is so important in getting the performance you want from an engine but your call

Topcat

Quote from: Flatdad on April 05, 2019, 04:13:49 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 04, 2019, 05:53:51 PM
Almost certainly a B-engine cam.

It has 'Hemi' stamped in the end along with the other numbers. Not too keen on using it though, it looks pretty darn aggressive. I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there, nowhere close to the assembly stage yet.

Here is my solid lifter Cam in the Hemi.
A little choppy but great power across the RPM range.

HP_Cuda

Hey Mike, good thing you don't have a pollution controlled vehicle!!!

:rofl:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Flatdad

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 05, 2019, 06:04:31 AM
The cam is so important in getting the performance you want from an engine but your call

Yeah... you guys are absolutely right. As much as I keep trying to trim down the budget, thinkin' I'll bite the bullet and pick a cam I truly want, rather than rolling the dice on this one.

Soooo... new plan, the cam in my 528 is a comp cl24-300-4, which is pretty tiny. I'd wanted to put their cl24-308-4 in it, but I chickened out for the sake of reliability, plus it was my first Hemi build.

I'm thinking of trying the bigger comp cam in this 'junker' motor, testing it out to see how it street drives, and how it tracks. If it isn't too gnarly for my taste, I can swap them at a later date (in theory).

Here's the specs of the bigger cam:
285/285 advertised
250/250 @ .050
.355/.355 lobe lift
108 LSA

Chryco Psycho

ot is realy easy to tell the difference betwen & wedge & Hemi cam , the intake & exhaust lode are reversed on 4 out of 8 of the cylinders , meaning the intake would open first & the exhaust second on 4 cylinders if a wedge cam is used in a Hemi
SO the Million $ question is why does everyone look at Comp cams , there are a bunch of cam companies with far better designs based on the wider Mopar lifter specifically tailored for Mopar engines ?? Lunati , Engle , Bullet as TC used , Hughes , Crower, Mr 6 pack , Isky all come to mind . :thinking:

Topcat

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 05, 2019, 08:58:38 PM
ot is realy easy to tell the difference betwen & wedge & Hemi cam , the intake & exhaust lode are reversed on 4 out of 8 of the cylinders , meaning the intake would open first & the exhaust second on 4 cylinders if a wedge cam is used in a Hemi
SO the Million $ question is why does everyone look at Comp cams , there are a bunch of cam companies with far better designs based on the wider Mopar lifter specifically tailored for Mopar engines ?? Lunati , Engle , Bullet as TC used , Hughes , Crower, Mr 6 pack , Isky all come to mind . :thinking:

Bullet was what CP and others recommended for me to use when I was Cam shopping.

It's a great Cam. At about 2,200 RPM she really starts to come to life and really sees Jesus at 5K.
The motor I have is stroked 472 so that makes a big difference. Also using Johnson EDM lifters.
Cams last longer and less adjustments as well.

As Runcharger recently said; these engines are re born new power once they get stroked to 472 crank or more.

Hallelujah!!     :rubeyes: :worship:  :Thud: :clapping:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I'm getting the itch to build another 472. I've built bigger ones but that 472 was a great combo.
Sheldon

Flatdad

Update. My brother welded up my intake and did a great job & I ordered some parts from the local dealership:

crankshaft key
oil slinger
intake gaskets
valve cover gaskets
$63 total

How cool is it that you can go to a Dodge dealership and still order 426 Hemi parts a half-century after they were new?!

This morning, I ordered a set of Clevite main bearings off ebay. $87.60

Last night, after digging through my nut & bolt bucket, I came up with seven 1/4-20x2.5" bolts & eleven 1/4" flat washers.

That leaves me with nine 1/4-20x2.0" bolts & five 1/4" flat washers to buy at the hardware store for a complete set of intake bolts. Cheap grade 2's will do just fine.