Main Menu

How common is motor mount failure?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 21, 2019, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

While getting the RT road ready, I've been putting around on the road to work the bugs out and yesterday I noticed something I hadn't seen before. The hood is still off so while romping on it, I saw the driver side of the engine came up around 3" or so. It was pretty noticeable and I'm assuming the motor mount is bad. It looked okay when I had the engine out but maybe I ruined it with some harsh driving? How likely is that in a 383?  The motor is pretty warmed over but it's not like some 500+ HP bruiser either.

I don't mind switching in a new motor mount but it's a bit of a pain so if a warmed over 383 is capable of ruining them, I'll need a tougher option so I can do it only once.

kawahonda

At 63,000 miles my stockers we're toast on my 340.

Common. Doubtful any originals are still holding up. Doubtful it's miles, but AGE.

The rubber on mine were broke in half.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

70 Challenger Lover

New ones are cheap so no problem there. I just didn't want to find out that the new ones out there couldn't stand up to the torque like the old ones used to. Changing it won't be fun.

kawahonda

I run the mancini ones. Find they are good. Don't 'now how good they are up too though. Better than stockers.

https://www.manciniracing.com/benmaset.html
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cudakiller70

Unless you drive like Grandma breaking motor mounts is pretty common. Today's mounts just aren't as good either. Any "Zoom Zoom" driving can and probably will do it. Not worth the aggravation just put some torque restraint on drivers side and your done no worries. I put a bolt through mine with a very small gap so it still flexes or cushions motor vibrations. Some and I almost did this use a solid motor mount on drivers side only. I was afraid of breaking the engine block tabs, but I haven't heard of that happening.

1 Wild R/T

Back in the 70's I would replace the stock drivers side motor mount every couple months till I put a chain from the cylinder head down to the K member.... And the new motor mounts that cost next to nothing I can destroy in one test drive... Either spend the money for good mounts, modify the stock mount or chain it down...

70 Challenger Lover

I didn't think of a strap. I like that idea. I'm probably gonna have to remove a few things to get in there so adding some sort of strap makes sense. And to be fair, I was thrashing on it pretty hard.

Chryco Psycho

I build a small strap from the main crossbolt to the engine block mount bolt so that the rubber is prevented from pulling apart , properly done it is virtually invisable

Cudakiller70

Some other alternative https://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/TorqueStraps.html
This to me would be if you were racing and hitting it pretty hard. $100 shipped
Solid motor mount, you only need 1 for drivers side. Maybe someone would be the other one
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62520/overview/

70 Challenger Lover

I think this cable one would fit the bill perfectly. I plan to list the car for sale when it's ready so I'd rather not keep dumping large sums of money into it. The cable looks strong plus I really like the idea of it being hidden away.

Any idea where I'd find cable ends and how to properly attach them?

6bblgt

the cable was factory on some C-bodies

70 Challenger Lover

That might be a good route. Just need to figure out exact length and call. I guess I can wait a couple weeks.

dodj

I use the mount that kawahonda suggested. If you look at how they say it is made, there is a bolt within mount that prevents it from separating if the rubber fails.
That way you don't have, IMO, an ugly strap in the engine bay.

(cut and paste from mancini)
Bolt-through design locks up under acceleration, prevents blow-outs - provides the durability of a solid mount without sacrificing the smooth ride of rubber.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70 Challenger Lover

I'm curious if the official torque straps offered by Mancini and Schumacher allow the motor mount to still absorb vibrations. I've read that some torque straps were designed to remove all play for racing purposes.