Main Menu

How to make the exhaust smell less??

Started by Fern, December 13, 2018, 03:19:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fern

So I have researched this for a long time now. I can't find any good answers.  Is there a way to lessen the gas smell so you don't stink after driving these cars. I have a 440 (low comp motor) with a Hughes cam (whiplash ) it has a good loppy idel  and it tuned for best vacuum (per holley avenger carb specs).
I looked into efi but don't know if that will help.
Any one know any better ideas??
Thanks

Cuda Cody

Yup, it comes down to carb and tuning.  Compression, cam, timing and jet size all play a factor.  You might have a dyno shop try tuning it so they can adjust things as they read the exhaust while under load on a dyno.

shawge

Here is where I think a wide band O2 sensor would come in handy.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: shawge on December 13, 2018, 03:39:22 PM

Yep, the best $150 you can spend as a carb owner.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

Fuel injection and catalytic converters.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cudajason

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on December 13, 2018, 03:46:18 PM
Quote from: shawge on December 13, 2018, 03:39:22 PM

Yep, the best $150 you can spend as a carb owner.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Its amazing what that will reveal!!!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

bennydodge

If the cam has a lot of overlap it will stink even with fuel injection. If your clothes stink, a sharper carb tune will probably help. My 870 avenger (4 corner idle) took a lot of fiddling and it still smells a little. My 750 street demon also smells some too. More timing may also help.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

71-440

I never noticed my clothes smelling and I thought my car stunk...... lol.
My buddy had that problem with his 65 tempest. Big block,cam etc. He had to dial in the carb and timing so it wasn't running so rich. He went back and forth several times till he got it right.
When he was done it smelled better and ran better.

Joe

jimynick

The smart ass in me wants to say "then just don't drive it so much" Sorry  :crazytalk:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

BIGSHCLUNK

I had "gas" smell issue for awhile. As I recall, my secondary throttle plates (750 HOLLEY DP) were not properly adjusted. Once that was done properly the smell was gone..

Cudakiller70

I have wanted to try one, would MSD multi spark help?

303 Mopar

Cheapest route would be a good carb tune and/or O2 sensor.  More expensive route is Sniper EFI which would also increase throttle response and quick starts.

RUNCHARGER

Yup: O2 and a nice tune or EFI. I find most people tend to run carbs too rich on choke and warm driving/idle.
Sheldon

Cudajason

Do you have your vacuum advance hooked up???
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cuda_mark

I kind of like smelling like big block exhaust fumes. The chicks dig it too....I think.