Main Menu

ITS ALIVE!!!!!

Started by Cudajason, October 06, 2020, 06:24:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

PLY474

Loose/old trans mount?  Got a go-pro camera to mount under there?

Cudajason

Quote from: PLY474 on October 08, 2020, 10:20:22 AM
Loose/old trans mount?  Got a go-pro camera to mount under there?

Trans mount and the cross member are both new.  I fabed the cross member myself...it could have broke with one hit!  I will have a look at it.

A go-pro would be awesome...but I don't have one.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

PLY474

Was the driveshaft balanced?  My only other thought...maybe residual unbalance is causing excessive radial deflection at higher driveshaft rpms due to "the slip yoke is not far enough in the trans".  A go-pro may help see / diagnose  that. 

Cudajason

Quote from: PLY474 on October 08, 2020, 01:46:34 PM
Was the driveshaft balanced?  My only other thought...maybe residual unbalance is causing excessive radial deflection at higher driveshaft rpms due to "the slip yoke is not far enough in the trans".  A go-pro may help see / diagnose  that.

yep, new driveshaft.  new u joints.

I am worried that I miss-measured and the slip yoke is not in far enough.

but if the drive shaft was any longer, I am not sure I could get the u joints in at the rear.  Maybe I could crush the dust boot on the trans seal??

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jimynick

Jason, I remember you mentioning that you weren't sure about the driveline angles. Did you ever get that resolved to your satisfaction? Could the diff be angled up enough to induce bind in the rear joint? It sounds pretty Bruce County, but you could cut to size a piece of 2X4 to wedge between the pinion snubber/brkt and the floor pan to prevent any upwards movement for a short hop to see if it made a difference. It'll come down to eliminating the variables- as it always does. Good luck matey!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on October 09, 2020, 08:02:46 PM
Jason, I remember you mentioning that you weren't sure about the driveline angles. Did you ever get that resolved to your satisfaction? Could the diff be angled up enough to induce bind in the rear joint? It sounds pretty Bruce County, but you could cut to size a piece of 2X4 to wedge between the pinion snubber/brkt and the floor pan to prevent any upwards movement for a short hop to see if it made a difference. It'll come down to eliminating the variables- as it always does. Good luck matey!  :cheers:

Fair question @jimynick

I actually double checked that today.  There is no evidence of the driveshaft hitting anything!!

The drive line angles are off. I pulled the driveshaft and measured the end of the tail shaft and the pinion.

The trans is down 4 degrees down. The rear is 1 degree up (as in physically pointing up).

I know the angles are bad...but would the really make that much noise???

I think i will try to add some spacers and raise the trans up.  It looks like I have the room, but the it does not seem to want to move up very easily.

I was also concerned that the slip yoke was not in far enough,  it based the pic below it looks like I should be ok. The line at the Ujoint is the end of the output shaft and the other line is where the splines start. I assume that is sufficient.

Chryco Psycho

The driveshaft is fine , it is engaged enough
the angle would not be off enough to cause issues , do you replace the sprag?

Cudajason

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 11, 2020, 07:09:11 PM

@Chryco Psycho i replace the OD sprag, but not the other one, it looked fine.

Jason

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: blown motor on October 08, 2020, 12:53:21 PM
I have one @Cudajason if you want it.

Either borrow Blown Motors GoPro or buy one... You'll know pretty quick whats going on....   
Video of both ends of the driveshaft would be a start...

dodj

As for the engine trans sitting at too much of an angle, I believe the number you are looking for is 4* down.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 12, 2020, 10:11:47 AM
Quote from: blown motor on October 08, 2020, 12:53:21 PM
I have one @Cudajason if you want it.

Either borrow Blown Motors GoPro or buy one... You'll know pretty quick whats going on....   
Video of both ends of the driveshaft would be a start...

Yep I have it.

I will rig something up and have look.

Cudajason

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 11, 2020, 07:09:11 PM

I spent some time in the garage yesterday and made another 1/4 inch spacer for the trans mount.  Jus looking at the engine you could see that it was tilted down too much.  the 1/4 inch helped significantly and it looks much batter now.

I am at 3 degrees down now.

I hope to pull it out for a quick test drive tonight.

@Chryco Psycho what are you worried about won the sprag?  What's confusing me is that the sound only happened when I got on the throttle.  If I idle away from a stop there is no clucking noise.  I would assume that is a good thing and would indicate it is not internal to the trans??

1 Wild R/T

I've never hear a sprig clunk... I tend to think something is hitting the body/frame, it could be the trans, the driveline or the exhaust...  Does it sound like it's in. the front, middle or back...   Honestly it's probably something minor but hard to diagnose over the internet....

Cudajason

sigh...well, I think I "fixed" it.   :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I took her for a spin tonight and she worked perfectly...no banging no nothing.

I guess it was the ujoint angle that was causing the noise???? because the only change I made was to raise the trans by a 1/4 inch.

I borrowed @blown motor 's go pro s I could record the sound, so just for fun here is a small portion of the video I took.

next on my list is to make sure there are no leaks (look like the tail shaft is leaking) and the take it out and see if the OD works...not sure I got fast enough in the city for it to engage...oh and wash it.

Hope to burn most of a tank of gas this weekend and give her a good run!   :fingerscrossed: :cooldance: :cooldance: :cooldance: :cooldance: