Main Menu

ITS ALIVE!!!!!

Started by Cudajason, October 06, 2020, 06:24:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

1st I am not a Auto trans expert , I know a sprag can make some ugly sounds if it fails  & usually under power , I know you don't have many miles on it & I did not get to hear the sound personally so just a guess thrown out as a possible .
I am glad you seemed to have solver it at least ... get out & enjoy ,
I bet it has a bunch more power now with the trans letting the power through !

Jay Bee

Quote from: Cudajason on October 13, 2020, 06:12:41 PM
take it out and see if the OD works...

I'd be curious to know what RPM's you're turning at, say, 60 mph. Congrats on the success BTW.

Cudajason

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 15, 2020, 06:08:18 AM

I'd be curious to know what RPM's you're turning at, say, 60 mph. Congrats on the success BTW.

@Jay Bee   ME TOO! 

The online calculator I am using indicates that I should see 1600 RPMs at 60 MPH (but who goes that slow)  70 MPH shows 1900 RPM.

Keep in mind the A500 has a lock up TC as well which should lower the RPM another 300 or so. 

I am running 255 / 60 / 15s with a 3.23 rear gears.  Provided the calculator is right, that gives me lots of room for new gears!!!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

The lower 1st & 2nd gears already gained you some down low, I wouldn't get to greedy, maybe 3.55 or 3.73.... 3.91 & 4.10 both would still go down the highway fine but 1st gear would be pointless, more spinning than accelerating...

chargerdon

Yep to the spinning wheels.   On my 74 Challenger with stroker 260/408, i rebuilt and installed an A518 with locking Torque Converter. 

I'm running 235x60x14 tires...yep still have 14's, and a 3.23 sure grip axle.   Some day ill upgrade to 16 or 17" wheels next time i need new tires.  With that set up, 60 mph WITHOUT OD is at around 2800 RPM, and then with locking torque converter it drops to about 2550.   Then with OD engaged it drops to around 1900, then to around 1700 when i engage the lock up torque converter.   I have no plans to increase the rear axle.   

Regarding the performance... With the 3.23 and 14" tires, and this engine i sure don't need the lower 2.70 1'st gear.   From a dead stop, i can only give it no more than half throttle or i'll burn up the tires...i cant "floor it" in 1'st until i'm doing at least 10-15 mph and even then they will break loose a little..   Someday i want to take it to the drag strip, and try it on an strip with the traction goo on the track.
I'm not sure how much more HP the stroker kit added, maybe only just a little, and not sure how much it increased the maximum torque, but, i would bet the Torque at idle to 3,000 RPM is up a LOT.   

I know that with this engine and tires, i can engage the overdrive at just over 45 mph and still have decent acceleration when wanted.. at 45 and engaged i think im probably only running around 12-1300 RPM.

Here is a question for the 500/518 experts.   I engage the overdrive thru a toggle switch.  Same for the torque converter..   If i turn off the torque converter but leave the OD engaged, does it hurt anything to come to a stop and pull out with OD still on ?????  I know i would damage the torque converter if it was left on...  but...the OD ?

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: chargerdon on October 15, 2020, 09:10:37 AM
Here is a question for the 500/518 experts.   I engage the overdrive thru a toggle switch.  Same for the torque converter..   If i turn off the torque converter but leave the OD engaged, does it hurt anything to come to a stop and pull out with OD still on ?????  I know i would damage the torque converter if it was left on...  but...the OD ?

Doesn't hurt anything... O/D is only available from third gear... So instead of 1st/2nd/3rd & O/D.  you get 1st/2nd & O/D

chargerdon

1 Wild R/T

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 15, 2020, 08:27:02 AM
3.91 & 4.10 both would still go down the highway fine but 1st gear would be pointless, more spinning than accelerating...

You make that sound like a bad thing!  :haha:  this car was a dog down low for so long due to the cam and single plane intake, both of which I have now changed, tire frying acceleration would be a dream!!!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 15, 2020, 06:08:18 AM

@Jay Bee , we will have to wait a bit for those real world numbers...had it out on Sat, an no OD.  Traced the wires and found one of the connections I made for the OD was lose (I used a new plug and the pin was not seated correctly).

Took it out yesterday, confident that I had it fixed and still nothing.  Pulled both the NSS plug and the OD / LU Plug and found that I had tapped into the wrong NSS wire for power to the OD/LU solenoids.   :Thud:

I am in the process of redoing the wiring and then I will give it another go!

Jay Bee

Quote from: Cudajason on October 19, 2020, 08:06:24 AM
I am in the process of redoing the wiring and then I will give it another go!

Way to keep plugging away at it   :bigthumb: 

BIGSHCLUNK

Keep hitting it Jason, you'll get there. There's always something.....

Cudajason

@Jay Bee

Well, after rewiring the OD and LU solenoids and confirming they had power, I headed out for a spin.

I got on the highway and brought it up to speed, running at 65MPH / 100KPH I was turning 2800 RPM, and I flipped the switch for OD, and nothing. I then flipped the second switch for LU, still nothing, they it happened...BOOM....the OD kicked in and the revs dropped to 2000.   

I cruised along for a few mins like that and it felt awesome, what a difference running along at that RPM is.

I took it up to a 90 MPH  / 145 KPH and it cruised along at 2500 RPM or so.  Even with out the kickdown into 3rd, the car accelerated up to that speed just fine.

over all I am pretty happy!