Main Menu

LD340 install questions

Started by 73chalngr, May 02, 2020, 06:20:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73chalngr

Do I need to use new intake bolts? Edelbrock site says 25 foot pounds for torque? Some say use RTV instead of the front and rear seals ? Some say remove the dowel pins although my intake has holes for dowel pins?  Any tips or recommendations on how to do this would be appreciated  . For some reason my intake has studs for the thermostat housing should I remove them and use bolts? Should I use any sealant on the coolant nipples  ?Do I really need to remove the distributor?

Rich G.

You don't need new bolts. You can use RTV on the ends if you want. Sometimes the gaskets there make the manifold sit to high. I'd use some sealant on the water jackets and some pipe sealant on the threaded nipples. You don't have to remove the distributor, I'd just gives you more room to work. Bolts will work fine for the thermostat housing.

Chryco Psycho

:iagree: The roll pins keep the end seals in place if you decide to use end seals , I prefer to just use a bead of good silicone there , but you can still leave the roll pins as long as the holes line up so the intake will sit down properly

Mrbill426

Is the LD340 a direct bolt-on with factory A/C or would there be modifications involved?  Can you still use the factory air cleaner assembly?

:wrenching:

kawahonda

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 02, 2020, 10:00:45 AM
Is the LD340 a direct bolt-on with factory A/C or would there be modifications involved?  Can you still use the factory air cleaner assembly?

:wrenching:

Can't answer about the A/C assembly, but if you're wondering about height for the factory air cleaner assembly, the answer should be yes, and that's what I'm betting on. LD340/RPM is pretty much near a safe max for height. Air gap is getting too much into danger area and will likely not fit with the factory air cleaner.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

73chalngr

My car does not have ac so I can't truly say but I don't think the brackets connect to the intake . I don't think hood clearance will be a problem I had a 69 intake on and had a 1 inch spacer for my Holley to work correctly but the temp sensor hole is a larger size then the factory intake .  Any solution for that problem? Will a bushing make my temp reading inaccurate?

three two barrels

Buy some aftermarket intake bolts with a 3/8 head on them and put thread sealant on the middle bolts to prevent oil leaks.
Are you using stamped steel valve covers or cast aluminum? If aluminum, test fit the valve covers and intake before sealing anything up, you may have to do some grinding on the covers and/or the intake runners to prevent oil leaks. The intake runners on the LD340 intake are very chubby and may need to be massaged a little.
I have no clearance issues with a .25 spacer, Quick fuel carb and a 68/69 chromed air cleaner. 

mopartaz

Factory bolts are fine , but on a 340 I rebuilt years back I used stainless socket head cap screws and hardened steel ones on the headers. Much easier to get at.

https://www.fastenere.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/shcs188ss1.jpg

73chalngr

Cap screws sound good just removed old bolts and was wondering how to get a torque wrench on them ?

Mrbill426

Sounds like height may not be a problem; I'll be using  TQ and I think it sits lower than a Holley.  I would not think a bushing would affect your reading just so the probe comes in contact with the coolant.

Quote from: 73chalngr on May 02, 2020, 04:05:00 PM
My car does not have ac so I can't truly say but I don't think the brackets connect to the intake . I don't think hood clearance will be a problem I had a 69 intake on and had a 1 inch spacer for my Holley to work correctly but the temp sensor hole is a larger size then the factory intake .  Any solution for that problem? Will a bushing make my temp reading inaccurate?

mopartaz

You can try a 3/8 angle adapter to torque the bolts. I don't remember torquing the bolts on the intake --kind of went by "feel". Always used Fel pro / or MR gasket gaskets and sealant. Never had a problem.

Chryco Psycho

I am the same , 25 lbs is what a spark plug torques to so I just feel the torque needed , start from the middle 4 bolts & work your way out to each end , Cheack them after a few heat cycles , they will be loose as the gaskets compress .

73chalngr

I'd like to thank everyone for their input On putting my aluminum intake only a few minor things to clean up but it's running now no oil leaks sounds good I'm gonna go for a test drive later today

Chryco Psycho

Mrbill426

Looks great  :bigthumb:
How is the hood clearance?

Quote from: 73chalngr on May 16, 2020, 09:15:39 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their input On putting my aluminum intake only a few minor things to clean up but it's running now no oil leaks sounds good I'm gonna go for a test drive later today