Main Menu

Manual Transmission Options

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, November 30, 2019, 08:17:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1972V21Cuda

How about a Gear Vendors Overdrive?

Chryco Psycho

That is another very good option , not cheap tho  :takemymoney:
What is cool is you can use OD in any gear creating 8 ratios with a 4 spd & if you had a 833 OD you could double the OD , not sure why you would want to do that tho  unless cruising @ 200 MPH is your thing !! :thinking:

70 Challenger Lover

I had considered the factory OD unit as well as the gear vendors but for this next build, I want something really nice. I have the smaller Tremec in my Vette and its a really nice tranny. I like the ratio spread and the short crisp throws. I'd like to do this build with the intent of keeping it forever, driving the crap out of it and no regrets about compromising too much on components. I really do like the Passon trans and I could get over the sticker price eventually but waiting for years with no way of knowing when or even if it's coming is just not doable for me.

@Brads70 when you say people have had issues, are you referring to making them fit or failure issues? The more I think about this, I think I like the tko 600 over the 500. The t56 looks great but I'm concerned that the tunnel modifications would be extreme causing the interior look to be drastically different. My console probably wouldn't go back in and of course a carpet kit wouldn't lay down right.

Brads70

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on December 01, 2019, 07:49:42 AM
I had considered the factory OD unit as well as the gear vendors but for this next build, I want something really nice. I have the smaller Tremec in my Vette and its a really nice tranny. I like the ratio spread and the short crisp throws. I'd like to do this build with the intent of keeping it forever, driving the crap out of it and no regrets about compromising too much on components. I really do like the Passon trans and I could get over the sticker price eventually but waiting for years with no way of knowing when or even if it's coming is just not doable for me.

@Brads70 when you say people have had issues, are you referring to making them fit or failure issues? The more I think about this, I think I like the tko 600 over the 500. The t56 looks great but I'm concerned that the tunnel modifications would be extreme causing the interior look to be drastically different. My console probably wouldn't go back in and of course a carpet kit wouldn't lay down right.

I get it not wanting to cut up the floor. What I hear/read is vibration issues and shifting issues? 

70 Challenger Lover

I don't mind some metal modifications but vibration and shifting issues are definitely a big concern.

Chryco Psycho

On a budget my first choice has always been the 833 OD
With a bigger budget my first choice would be the 833 + the Gear vendors OD , this has the highest durability .
The Passion 4spd OD would be my 3rd choice , giving you 3 gears + OD so 1 less than the regular 833 + GV OD .
I would love to get a Passon 855 , this would be the #1 choice but as you say when if ever would it be delivered & it is pricey .

wes473

:deadhorse: Good morning folks!
:pokeeye:
Well I've been cruising through the search results about possible trans swap ideas for my cuda ('70 383mag, 727 column, split bench) and this seemed to be the best place to ask. I'm leaning towards keeping the 383 but may look into a 6.4 modern hemi later if I don't build the 383 up. I'm leaning to hyd clutch, and would like to run 4.10 and hwy cruise nice at 90mph(MT hwys) on a young family budget.... I thought the double O/D options sounded good but looks like A833 OD & GV or I find a 6speed? I was wondering why more folks don't swap the challenger 6 speed, also is there a bb belhousing/plate option for that trans into the cuda?

:cheers:

RUNCHARGER

To me: Six gears aren't needed and the six speed requires chopping up the sheetmetal of the car.
Sheldon

edison1970

Did anyone read about the new Tremec TKX 5 speed? About $2800 . Smaller case and no floor cutting.  Available now for GM and ford but Mopar is supposedly coming.

70rag383

I have the TKO600 in my 70 R/T 383. It's from Keisler which was taken over by SilverSport. I was converting from a 727 on the column.  Other than putting in the new manual transmission hump there was no cutting of the tunnel to make the transmission fit. 

Nice, crisp, short throws, even the 2-3 upshift is really nice which some people complain about because they're trying to shift it like an old A833.  I have had no issues after almost 6,000 miles and the car is a joy to drive on the highway with the .62 overdrive. I highly recommend this transmission.

70 Challenger Lover

I was just checking out this site and I like it. I bought a Tremec through Keisler years ago for my Vette and it was a super nice kit. Very easy to install and I ran into zero problems. I've been on Passon's waiting list for nearly a year with no way of knowing if it will be another month or another ten years. When I communicate with them, all I get is "you're still on the waiting list." I wouldn't mind trying the magnum 6 sp. trans they offer. Price looks very attractive. I've modified the frame in a few places already so I'm no longer shy about cutting into stuff on this project. I just want to move forward.

I thought Keisler was dead but seeing that Silversport does the same thing, I may go this route.

HP2

TKX certainly looks interesting at a fair price point, and I assume, reasonable availability once the Mopar version is released.

I've got a Quick Time bell for a Ford T-56 conversion, but I haven't had much luck sourcing a trans. Will definitely consider this one when it comes  time for a trans change.

IRON MAN

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on December 01, 2019, 10:14:41 AM
I don't mind some metal modifications but vibration and shifting issues are definitely a big concern.
I installed a TKO 500 in my 68 Mstg Fsbk big block. No vibration. Shifting into 3rd took some practice.
Also installed a TKO 600 in my 56 Chev 2dr with optional short throw. No vibration, Shifting into 3rd was without issues.
Had to cut the floor in both cars.
Note: it is easier shifting with a ball than a pistol grip. Important to palm the ball as you shift. Do not use a death grip. My experience.
It is important to use a dial indicator and run-out must be less than .005, otherwise there may be a vibration issue causing a short life for the TKO.

70 Challenger Lover

I had a lesser Tremec in my old Vette and it was a decent trans. Shirting into second was a little snug but overall, it was fine. I do recall having to measure and correct the runout but that wasn't too difficult.