Main Menu

New vs Restore Fuel Tank

Started by tparker, October 14, 2019, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I have an old fuel tank that the fuel turned to varnish then during the cleaning it got a lot of surface rust on the interior. I was going to use some POR 15 gas tank coating stuff but trying to figure out if I really should do this or just spend the $150ish bucks on another one. I already have the Coating stuff, other wise it would be almost a similar cause ($50 for the coating, plus another $50 for the metal prep, plus a few other things). Not sure if I trust the coating or myself to coat it correctly.

Any Thoughts
Tom

anlauto

NEW hands down....Check Rockauto or Roseville
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Ricomondo

I vote new tank and all the trimmings, straps, pad, sending unit etc. Just went through this myself a couple of weeks ago. Replaced it all including the filler neck, floor seal, vent tube etc.
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Dakota

When I was faced with this same question several years ago, I came across many stories of the various tank coatings failing and plugging up the fuel system.   Maybe the technology is better now, but personally I wouldn't risk it. 

If you're going with a carb and a mechanical or external electric pump, a new stock tank should work fine.   If you're planning on an in-tank electric pump feeding a throttle body injection system, if suggest you look at tank options from Tanks Inc.   

RUNCHARGER

New and be happy they're available. I screw around with motorcycle tanks because I have to but we don't have to with these cars.
Sheldon

DeathProofCuda

If it is just some surface rust inside, why bother with a coating?  Couldn't you just treat the inside with some Evapo-rust to remove the surface rust and then just call it good?

Back before repop tanks were available I had a few pin holes in mine.  I used a sealer (can't remember whether it was POR-15 or something else I got from Eastwood).  Either way, I haven't had any issues with it.  However, with relatively inexpensive repops readily available today, I probably wouldn't go through that hassle again. :alan2cents:

usraptor

I would and did go with a new repo tank.  No wondering if the rust/deposits are ever going to come loose and clop up the lines, etc.  As said, while you're at it new straps, sending unit and gas lines.  :alan2cents:

kawahonda

AMD tanks are nice and the price is very reasonable. Grade A tanks and perfect fit!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Topcat

New tank for sure.  :iagree:

But keep your old sending unit.

If it's in good shape, compare the float arm angles.

Put it next to a new one.
Adjust & make it just like it was before.

Now it should be close on being how the factory one was, so it measures more accurately.

kawahonda

If your sending unit is crusty and too far gone, I'd look for a NOS unit on eBay. They do pop up, and they are not an arm and a leg.

DEFINITELY keep your locking ring/spacer thing. The aftermarket ones are thinner and won't seal.

Always, always, always replace the rubber fuel neck grommet. Don't sleeze out on it like I did and think "it looks good enough." Oil the new one up a little bit to allow a damage-free installation with the pipe.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

SeventyTX9RTRag

Really depends on the car. If your car has other repop parts and is not a "survivor" car then best to replace.

Brads70

tparker

Thanks all. I think I'll get a new one. They arn't that expensive. Apparently California used one with 4 tubbe emission controls, but most repop tanks for 70s don't have that. Later models do. Hopefully that shouldn't be an issue.

As for the original sending unit, mine never worked right. Funny story cause when I bought the car when I was 20 I would drive around with a non-op sending unit so I never really knew when I was close to out of gas. Being 20 I would only put a few gallons in at a time. The funny part is that the fuel pump was also bad, so I didn't know if I was out of gas or the fuel pump stoped working. Ha. The joys of youth.

Anyways, I got a new sending unit, will have a new fuel pump, and now a new tank to go with new lines. The only thing I can hope for is that I can afford to buy the gas. LOL

Wayne

New!  Like another said be happy there available.  I just went with an oe style stainless.  A few more $$ but worth it in  my opinion.  Also bought new straps

https://vansauto.com/product/gas-tank-cuda-stainless-steel/

You can see a bunch of pictures of it on the 7th page of my build thread
https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/the-red-on-red-1970-cuda-project/11348/90
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

Jay Bee

I was once told that the Spectra Premium brand is the way to go for gas tanks, lots of vendors carry them.

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/CR8B

If you want to change your sender lock ring DMT sells a thicker one.

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/all-models-57-91-sending-unit-to-gas-tank-seal-and-ss-lock-ring/