Main Menu

Orientation of oil pump drive slot

Started by headejm, March 12, 2021, 10:33:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Question for all the BB engine experts...this is on a 383.

Should the oil pump drive slot be "exactly" parallel with the centerline of engine at TDC compression stroke? Can it be a couple of degrees off? I've installed my gear several times and cannot get to "exactly" parallel.  I'd say mine is 1 - 5 degrees off of parallel.

anlauto

Yes I  would say it's slightly off of  perfect parallel :alan2cents:

DISCLOUSURE: I'm not an expert.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

This is a guideline , what cam are you running ? if it is not the exact factory grind on the original blank then who says the position of the gear ground onto the cam blank is exactly 100% accurate or is the oil pump drive gear exactly accurate if it is not the factory drive , for example this may affect the exact rotation of the dist by 5-6* to get the timing correct & really has no effect on anything .
Just install the drive get the dist pointed correctly for #1 firing & wire accordingly & adjust the timing so it runs best !

71383bee

Agreed. I think what matters most is #1 firing on its compression stroke. For initial fire up I try to set it at 10 degrees btdc.  At least it's got some  initial to help her run and then dial it up for break in.

I think they focused on the slot orientation so the vac advance on the distributor was placed in a way that timing adjustment could be made without hitting the firewall or something. Also it helps to standardize things that #1 was always at or near a certain position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

ply64post

headejm

This should help you.

Jeff

RUNCHARGER

"I think they focused on the slot orientation so the vac advance on the distributor was placed in a way that timing adjustment could be made without hitting the firewall or something. Also it helps to standardize things that #1 was always at or near a certain position."

Yup, this is whats I have always figured.
Sheldon

anlauto

I agree Sheldon, but on a 383, if your vacuum advance is hitting the firewall, you got way bigger concerns  :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Well: I have seen a few like that but the psgrs didn't usually survive. On a Hemi you only have a small area for the vacuum can to fit as well. I imagine when the engines were assembled it was pretty easy to check that the oil pump drive was correct when the engine was at TDC as well.
Sheldon

headejm

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 12, 2021, 06:30:05 PM
This is a guideline , what cam are you running ?

Lunati 102

:thankyou: all for the (typically) great responses!

Chryco Psycho