Main Menu

Passon 5 Speed at Carlisle

Started by Topcat, July 07, 2018, 06:25:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Good point 303. All mechanical things require maintenance once in awhile.
Sheldon

61K T/A

HP_Cuda

Gear vendor might be the better route.  :iagree:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

GoodysGotaCuda

Makes me glad I pulled the trigger on the T56. It was a bit more work, paid for, installed and ready-to-go!
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Topcat

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 16, 2018, 02:42:46 PM
So here is a dilemma I thought of:  The 855 is a completely custom trans, and Jamie is the ONLY person that knows how this trans is made AND how to fix it if something goes wrong.  Given the multi-year production cycle, how long is it going to take and cost me when/if there is an issue with the 855?  And am I better off just sticking with a 833 or 833 OD?

I thought the 855 is similar in design to  the 833?

So are we assuming it'll be that much different in doing a basic re build?

RUNCHARGER

Yes, I doubt anything would transfer over to the 855. I could be wrong but I believe that even the style of synchro used is different. I doubt any gears would interchange and the shafts would be different as well with the extra gear.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I agree , basically an all new unit but knowing the reliability of the A833 they should last years or decades

303 Mopar

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 18, 2018, 10:28:41 PM
I agree , basically an all new unit but knowing the reliability of the A833 they should last years or decades
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 18, 2018, 09:54:12 PM
Yes, I doubt anything would transfer over to the 855. I could be wrong but I believe that even the style of synchro used is different. I doubt any gears would interchange and the shafts would be different as well with the extra gear.

The 855 is a completely custom unit based off the 833, but even the housing is custom. All internals, shift pattern, shaft, etc are custom.  And while the 833 is reliable, there have been a couple guys I've talked to that have had issues with the 855 that Jamie fixed but again he is THE ONLY guy that can do this. 

I may be pessimistic but it also may be another 4 years before I have to worry about deciding to buy one.

303 Mopar

GoodysGotaCuda

Good gravy that's an expensive trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Is "John Huff" a part of Passion Performance ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on August 03, 2018, 07:40:57 AM
Is "John Huff" a part of Passion Performance ?

John actually called me when he saw my questions on one of Jamie's posts.  He said he cashed out his IRA and invested it in Passon. Apparently the 855's are being sent to John for testing.  He said he installs each trans in one of his cars, drives it around and makes sure everything works.  He is in Wyoming so I thought I would drive up the highway and pick one up, but $5k?  :rubeyes:

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: So all the B-body orders have been filled then, I hope.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

More from John:
"For clarification purposes Jamie Passon helped design this transmission. I invested in the project because it seemed I would never get a transmission if I didn't which is true. So after cashing out my IRA, I also ended up working with vendors to produce parts. I worked with Garrett Fuss Inc. to make this project move forward. I then built crates to ship them and road tested every transmission before shipping. This has been a hard project and those of you who know the whole story understand. It has taken years to get to where we are shipping these out on a regular basis."

Rumple