Main Menu

Petrol leak

Started by Mark_B, January 03, 2019, 11:19:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mark_B

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could please help me.  I have a petrol leak from the grommet connecting the pipe to the tank.  I've had a new grommet fitted but it's still leaking.

Do I need a knew pipe or tank?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

js27

I would make sure the grommet fitted properly and the tube is inserted far enough in. I don't see wht you would need a new tank if it is leaking from the grommet.
JS27

Mark_B

Thanks for your reply.  It only leaks when the tank is over half fully.  I'm thinking either the gas pipe is out of shape or the tank hole is to big / out of shape.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

Burdar

If the tank hole is ovaled out for some reason, then I can see the grommet not fitting tightly to the filler tube.  I would suspect a pitted filler tube or damaged grommet before I'd think of a tank problem though.  If someone really had a hard time getting the filler tube out, I suppose they could have bent the tank.  It needs to come apart anyway.  Inspect everything and post some pictures.  Good luck.

7212Mopar

It is not the easiest thing to insert the tube back in the tank. I torn a new grommet on the first try when forcing it. I put lots of vasaline on the tube and grommet for the second try and still need to get the tank at the correct angle and alignment with the tube to get it in. You just need to be patience and having a helper is best. It is a tight fit. So if everything are in good condition, it should not leak. Insert the tube first before strapping down the tank.

Guys, we are talking about servicing our cars here. Control your imagination.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

kawahonda

Easy job to drop the tank (you don't need it completely removed). You're going to have to do it. Halfway is where the gas will meet the rubber seal, so that already tells you what you know.

A simple mar from shoving the fuel filler tube in there whilst not being careful is all it takes to create a leak.

I put a little stool under the tank and then lower it down on top of the stool, straps removed. A floor jack with a block of wood works too. I also remove the filler tube from the quarter panel...never leave it fastened in place during removal/installation in because it makes life more hell and creates the opportunity for damage of that seal.

I replaced my original damaged seal (damage probably done by myself not following what I wrote above) with an OER seal and it has solved leaking...I can fill it brim full and zero leaks.

With the tank sitting on the stool and the filler tube removed (after tank is lowered) you can reach in from the trunk and remove the seal and inspect. You won't need to get under the car for this job...ever. I pretty sure the grounding strap and fuel sending unit connection have plenty of give for a few inches of drop. You MAY want to get under the car and do a quick inspect once you're done to make sure the connections are still good.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Mark_B

Thanks very much for all your help.  Very much appreciated.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

JS29

Spay silicone works wonders, Werth makes A silicone paste that would be ideal for that job.  :alan2cents:

Burdar

I think I used dish washing soap.  When that stuff gets wet, it's super slippery.  I don't remember any problems getting the filler tube installed.

RUNCHARGER

Armor all works well as a lube too. It almost looks like the filler tube isn't fully pushed into the grommet. I would suggest ordering another grommet and have it on hand before you pull it apart.
Sheldon

Mark_B

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 04, 2019, 06:50:44 AM
Armor all works well as a lube too. It almost looks like the filler tube isn't fully pushed into the grommet. I would suggest ordering another grommet and have it on hand before you pull it apart.
Yes I see what you mean, the gas pipe looks like it tappers slightly as it meets the tank.  Maybe the tank is out of position.  I'll have a look.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk