Main Menu

Power Steering Adjusting bolt leaking Antifreeze

Started by Daveh, August 18, 2020, 10:13:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Ok I fixed the one leaking bolt behind the water pump but now it's leaking out of the P.S. adjusting bolt.  I used the Permatex thread sealant with Teflon and I thought I used enough.  Do I just need to add more?  It baffles me why they would put a bolt into the water jacket that get adjusted all of the time.  It's grabbing just fine but maybe it's too short still?  What are your thoughts? 

Thanks
Dave

7212Mopar

I had problem with the alternator bolt that goes to the block near top. The threads at the block exposed to the coolant corroded. I end up buying a longer bolt and cut slightly longer than the old, coated the threads and shank with sealant. I let the sealant set for a few minutes before threading it in and it work for me. BTW you need to partially drain the coolant And let it dry before refill.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Scooter

Quote from: Daveh on August 18, 2020, 10:13:28 AM
Ok I fixed the one leaking bolt behind the water pump but now it's leaking out of the P.S. adjusting bolt.  I used the Permatex thread sealant with Teflon and I thought I used enough.  Do I just need to add more?  It baffles me why they would put a bolt into the water jacket that get adjusted all of the time.  It's grabbing just fine but maybe it's too short still?  What are your thoughts? 

Thanks
Dave

Replaced my accessory belts a few weeks back and forgot about this issue... had antifreeze dripping and I was like what the hell? You might need to "goop" it up pretty good with sealant as it's going into an already wet environment. Be sure to remove the rad cap so you are as close to 0 pressure as possible.

Daveh

Thanks I figured.  I already have it drained and ready to go just wanted to check.  Thanks

Burdar

I've always used silicone.  Either the copper or ultra gray.  Which ever I had on hand at the time.

Daveh

I've always used the RTV on other restorations other that MOPARS without issue.  But it seemed like everyone here always uses the thread sealant on the MOPARS. 

Is there a reason to only use the thread sealant or why not to use RTV?  Anyone can chime in.  Thanks

Daveh

So I took everything off the front of the engine so I could get to the PS bolt to add more sealant.  I drained the coolant cleaned the bold off and reinstalled with plenty of thread sealant.  Let it sit for 2 days and filled it last night and didn't leak.  Went out this morning and I had a pan full of antifreeze.  WTF - I don't get it I went overboard to make sure all was done correctly. 

My only thought at this point is that I used chrome bolts and even though I took the finish off the threads that's why I'm getting the leak.  I have a 5-1/2" standard bolt maybe I just go back to that instead of the 5" chrome that I used?  But none of the other ones are leaking where I used those bolts.  Very frustrating.

Scooter

Quote from: Daveh on August 23, 2020, 08:31:21 AM
So I took everything off the front of the engine so I could get to the PS bolt to add more sealant.  I drained the coolant cleaned the bold off and reinstalled with plenty of thread sealant.  Let it sit for 2 days and filled it last night and didn't leak.  Went out this morning and I had a pan full of antifreeze.  WTF - I don't get it I went overboard to make sure all was done correctly. 

My only thought at this point is that I used chrome bolts and even though I took the finish off the threads that's why I'm getting the leak.  I have a 5-1/2" standard bolt maybe I just go back to that instead of the 5" chrome that I used?  But none of the other ones are leaking where I used those bolts.  Very frustrating.

Sucks.. I hate playing in antifreeze as well. My car was seeping it from everywhere when I bought it.

Gotta ask the stupid, could it be leaking from another point?

There is not a lot of pressure to overcome in the cooling system and if it's coming out just gravity feeding w/o the engine being run my initial thought is it's gotta be something else.

If that is not the case, go grab another stock bolt. Goop it up and toss it in there & see what happens.

GL!

mk

Quote from: Daveh on August 18, 2020, 10:13:28 AM

Thanks
Dave

If you use a different bolt maybe make sure it isn't too long......... someone I know tried a longer than stock bolt in  one of those locations on his 71 340 and it actually cracked the cylinder wall when he cranked it tight.

Daveh

Ok still frustrated and it's still leaking.  I've tried 3 different 3/8-16 bolts, one new and 2 old.  Used plenty of sealant and it's still leaking.  The third time it was only a trickle but still leaked.  I've tried both a 5" and 5-1/2" bolts.  I'm sure under pressure it would leak more. What is the deal?   

I'm ready to use RTV.  Not sure where to go from here.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Solarguy

I use 4-5 wraps of teflon tape and then pipe dope on all wet bolts never had an issue. 

Daveh

UPDATE - So the Teflon tape and sealant didn't work it began to leak out of the bolt immediately.  I think the last resort is The Right Stuff RTV.  Suggestions?  Thanks

Burdar

That's all I've ever used.  Why mess with something that works.  Silicone sets up and dries but stays pliable.  Pipe sealant never dries and seems to wipe off regular bolt threads when installing.  I've removed bolts that have pipe sealant on them and the sealant was all but gone when the bolt was removed.  I've removed bolts that were sealed with silicone/gasket maker and the silicone/gasket maker was still inside the bolt threads when it was removed.

Daveh

I've tried 3 different bolts with tape and sealant and without. Four different times.  Why the heck does it keep leaking?   I've done this many times and now this one is beating me up. I'm sick of it.