Main Menu

Power steering return hose leaking

Started by Aar1064, July 30, 2017, 04:36:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Aar1064

I picked up a new repop dated ps return hose and I started noticing that it was leaking but not at the ends but on outside of hose. The hose turned real soft with no real miles. Just sitting in shop idling. Fluid was penetrating the hose from inside. I removed it and replaced with just a different new hose but haven't ran car since.

Have any idea why this happened. Crappy hose? Fluid?

fc7cuda

That's usually the look of hose sweat, but unusual this time of year.  Is the hose you swapped that's working a SAE rated hose?  The repo hose may be of low quality and more for vapor use, not fluid.  :alan2cents:

Do you mind saying where the repo came from?

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Aar1064

Quote from: fc7cuda on July 30, 2017, 04:59:59 AM
That's usually the look of hose sweat, but unusual this time of year.  Is the hose you swapped that's working a SAE rated hose?  The repo hose may be of low quality and more for vapor use, not fluid.  :alan2cents:

Do you mind saying where the repo came from?

It was fluid that was on the outside. It took all of the fancy date code letting off as I kept wiping trying to keep the leak from dripping.

Not sure if the new hose is going to fix issue yet. Haven't ran the engine since installing.

Got it from Frank Badalson.

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 30, 2017, 09:23:37 AM
Crappy hose. I like your detailing.

:iagree: Except the plastic sheathing on the high pressure hose ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Aar1064

I'm using Lucas Oil ps fluid. Could it be the brand of fluid?

Thanks. Been working hard on all the detail.

B5Cuda440-6

This is the 2nd time I've read a thread about the reproduction power steering return hoses leaking. The other thread was on Moparts where someone had this exact same problem. They ended up buying a different hose from e-bay and it solved their leaking issue. I'm pretty sure this is who they purchased it from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-Power-Steering-Return-Hose-Clamps-11-32-340-440-426-Hemi-318-383-/222597323392?hash=item33d3d59a80:g:ZKQAAOxyTjNSdbc0&vxp=mtr

Not sure why the reproduction hoses are not functioning properly. Maybe give Frank B. a call and let him know? He always stands behind his products.

Hope this helps.

Aar1064

Quote from: anlauto on July 30, 2017, 05:47:03 PM

:iagree: Except the plastic sheathing on the high pressure hose ;)

Yeah I keep forgetting to take that off. Should be foam. Wish someone made a more correct high pressure hose.  :takemymoney:

tman

I too had one of the repro ps return hose.  They are junk.  They get real soft and squishy feeling.  Hose slipped off steering gear fitting in a parking lot and made a mess.  I don't think they are using the correct hose for the fluid being used.  Yes, get real hose like the one on ebay.  You can still get that from dealer.  Be sure to get 11/32 size.  NOT 3/8.  I ended up getting Gates brand hose from RockAuto.  No problems whatsoever.   

Aar1064

Quote from: tman on July 30, 2017, 09:36:50 PM
I too had one of the repro ps return hose.  They are junk.  They get real soft and squishy feeling.  Hose slipped off steering gear fitting in a parking lot and made a mess.  I don't think they are using the correct hose for the fluid being used.  Yes, get real hose like the one on ebay.  You can still get that from dealer.  Be sure to get 11/32 size.  NOT 3/8.  I ended up getting Gates brand hose from RockAuto.  No problems whatsoever.   

Good to know. Confirms what I thought. Didn't know this was a dealer item. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks

tman

The link to the ebay listing is the one dealers sell. 

61K T/A

That's amazing the repop vendors can't even get a simple PS hose right. Makes you really wonder about the other stuff they sell.  :(

B5Cuda440-6

:iagree:

Makes me think "Why even bother at all". Many times the reproduction parts have the potential to actually damage our vehicles. The last thing i'd want to face is a leaking power steering hose after I just spent a ton of $$ and time restoring my car, only to have the fluid damage the paint or worse.

Aar1064

Quote from: B5Cuda440-6 on August 01, 2017, 05:18:41 AM
:iagree:

Makes me think "Why even bother at all". Many times the reproduction parts have the potential to actually damage our vehicles. The last thing i'd want to face is a leaking power steering hose after I just spent a ton of $$ and time restoring my car, only to have the fluid damage the paint or worse.

It seems to be a real problem out there. I guess we have to live and learn which brings up the point of why this forum exists. To help root out the crap. I was pretty tore up about this because it wasn't a cheap hose. Luckily paint on k frame wasn't damaged.

Thanks for the help