Main Menu

Proper fan depth inside shroud

Started by Mrbill426, July 23, 2022, 07:47:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I am curious about the depth the cooling fan is into the fan shroud.  I don't recall what it was 10+ years ago when I took the car apart but now with it going back together what should the depth be?   Everything is original except for a new water pump and currently the face of the clutch thermostat is about two inches from the radiator core.  If there was a fan spacer in there in the beginning I sure don't remember it.  :thinking:  It has factory A/C with a 26" radiator.

Chryco Psycho

Generally 1/3 to 1/2 of the blade should be inside the shroud but that will work

Mrbill426

@Chryco Psycho  Ok; it did not overheat during cam break in and the gauge never reached above halfway when I flushed the cooling system after it was contaminated with ATF... see my previous dilemma  :crying:.
I don't know that the factory would have used a spacer, and if the water pump was too "short" that would through the pulley alignment off.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 23, 2022, 08:27:40 AM
Generally 1/3 to 1/2 of the blade should be inside the shroud but that will work

Chryco Psycho

Agreed , never seen a spacer with a clutch fam but some of the clutch hubs are shorter .
Must have had a trans cooler leak insde the rad !

Mrbill426

@Chryco Psycho yes it sure did... the ATF looked like Pepto Bismol  :o ... I was lucky enough to find an NOS replacement that the radiator shop swapped in for me.  I had the original rad re-cored by him but it had the 50yr old cooler in it and it failed during break in.  He covered the labor to do the swap.  Trans was just rebuilt too so that also came out for a tear down inspection; fortunately no damage there.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 23, 2022, 08:38:07 AM
Agreed , never seen a spacer with a clutch fam but some of the clutch hubs are shorter .
Must have had a trans cooler leak insde the rad !

Filthy Filbert

That fan placement is too short for my personal comfort, but may be just close enough to draw enough air across the core.  Ideally you'd want it a bit closer, so the fan blade is 1/2 in/out of the shroud. 

Dakota

Quote from: Mrbill426 on July 23, 2022, 07:47:20 AM
I am curious about the depth the cooling fan is into the fan shroud.  I don't recall what it was 10+ years ago when I took the car apart but now with it going back together what should the depth be?   Everything is original except for a new water pump and currently the face of the clutch thermostat is about two inches from the radiator core.  If there was a fan spacer in there in the beginning I sure don't remember it.  :thinking:  It has factory A/C with a 26" radiator.

I have factory a/c and a 26" radiator as well.  I'm running an aftermarket water pump (don't remember who I bought it from).  It looks like my fan blades are in just a bit deeper.   I wanted to move my blades in a little deeper ahead of getting the a/c working, but I there's really not a lot of room left between the front of the fan clutch and the radiator.  I decided to just leave it alone.   So far no overheating issues with my 340. 

Strawdawg

I always aim for half to 2/3's inside the shroud.  That way, you force most of the air to be pulled thru the radiator core.  I have almost always had to use a spacer.
Steve

blown motor

You need at least 1/3 in to get draw.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel