Main Menu

Proper Jack for a 71...

Started by MikeMikeMike, October 19, 2017, 10:55:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MikeMikeMike

Recently I stumbled upon someone selling a jack. So, I quickly reviewed my references for what type of jack a Jan 71 build cuda with chrome bumpers and space saver takes... here's what I found in the MMC Detroit books:

- The correct date code for a jack for my car would be late 70 (0 K through 0 M or thereabouts)
- The Jack hook would probably be a 101. 100s were used late in the 71 model year to replace the 101's. There's also another reference in my book for Barracudas using the 100 on chrome bumpers. Not sure if that refers only to 71 Barracudas vs cudas.
- The mast in one reference says it could be tubular or T style, 34.75". Another reference states it should take a T style mast. On a T mast for an E body the jack head would have an overlapping tab spot weld just behind the spring as it wraps around the mast.
- For the base the date code would be similar to the head.

The individual selling the jack states:
- The 1100 was for all steel bumpers and the 1101 was for the rubber bumper. (He is selling the 1100)
- On the base there were no date codes for the 70 or 71, either tube of T style.
- The jack I have is the tube mast
- The date code on the one I have is 0M

I'm not trying to find fault with the guy and he sounds like he knows his stuff but it differed from the MMC books and I'm trying to figure out which is correct. He hasn't sent me any pictures which makes it hard to verify things like the overlapping tab on the head so I'm seeing what you all think would have come with my car?

Would it have taken a 100 or 101 hook?
Would it have taken a T or tube mast?

Thanks!
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

VCODE

I have been trying to figure this out for a long time now also. The Cuda with a tube or T mast. I have found a tube type in my cuda, but not 100% sure if it was original. I am thing the the different mast was a vendor thing and both where used. Installer maybe just picking them out of a bin and they where all mixed in. :thinking: 
Bob

Topcat

Topcat

70' T Tube FWIW.

My 71' jack I re built.

Heated the pinched end with a torch and hammered it flat to get the lifting mechanism off.

Sent the shaft for a new Zinc coating.

Bought some Grey Epoxy paint and painted all the parts Grey that required it.

Put back everything together and everything came out sweet.

1ownr

Here are a couple of pics of our jack original to our '71 cuda.
We have rubber bumpers front & rear and have used this jack on the car.
Disclaimer, this is how it has been since when we ordered it, correct or incorrect will always be the discussion.

judy

MikeMikeMike

Interesting. Thanks guys. Awesome to get an original owners input as well. Ended up swapping for one over the weekend. Can't beat free(ish).  :twothumbsup:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II