Main Menu

Quick transmission bellhousing ID request

Started by Duodec, September 14, 2022, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Duodec

Finally got a hit on what is supposed to be a 46RH transmission from a 92-93 V8 Dakota.  The seller says it is but so far I have one picture, and its a front view of the bell housing.  Its been 33 years since I had the transmission out of the Challenger but I think the diesel units look different, and V6 vehicles would have had the 42RH (same bell housing though, correct?).  Can anyone look at this and confirm its correct for a V8 46RH?  He confirmed it is not an RE and says it has a 727-shaped oil pan.  Waiting on more pics then have to schedule a 90 minute drive to pay and retrieve. 

Duodec

Picked up the three-pin 46RH today.  It _looks_ ok so far.  No broken tabs, cracks, etc.  Splines are straight and front pump shows no sign of prior leakage (it was drained).  Working condition is not known so assuming it is a rebuildable core, not immediately usable.

I'm going to need to pick up a torque convertor (lockup) and yoke.  I believe I've read the yoke is the same as for a 727, which should not be too hard to find.  Neutral safety switch is banged up.  Cooling line connections and other external parts look ok.

Also need to get a speedo cable gear holder (it came with an electronic pickup, which the seller didn't bring).  I need to figure out the number range for the gear to get the right holder.

Debating buying the obvious rebuild parts for it now even though its going to sit in storage for quite a while.  The way things are going I'm not certain I'll be able to buy the rebuild parts in a couple of years.

Recommendations for rebuild kits/parts/brands and torque convertor source appreciated.  I'm looking at the PATC kit for controlling the locking TC and overdrive.

There will be more questions but I'll run through the relevant topics here to see if already answered before posting (which will certainly affect torque convertor selection if nothing else)

Duodec

My new 46RH transmission came with the OD detached for the seller's convenience in transport.  He included a bag of the loose parts between the two components, and the speedo pinion holder and bolt, but not the bolts that hold the OD section onto the main case.  I pinged him about them and he says he lost them.

I've been browsing and haven't been able to find a part number or size/type specifications.  The images make it look like a 'small head' flanged bolt.  I'd like to get the right ones, though I'm sure there are substitutes that will work just fine. The normal 727 extension bolts may be the same or similar (but seven instead of six of them) but I can't find confirmation of that, either.

Info/source appreciated.

Thanks