Main Menu

Rear end installation

Started by Mopar5, April 29, 2020, 09:35:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Hopefully this is not a dumb question but better safe than sorry. The springs I have are new, they are interchangeable left or right correct? I cant see how it would make a difference . Thanks

Scooter

They are sold left and right specific and have different part numbers. Here is the set on mine:

Left
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452984

Right
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452985

Previous owner installed them, maybe someone else can clue us in what the difference is side to side if any. Possibly the center to mount measurement?

:dunno:

Mopar5

Mopar5

I got my springs from ESPO I emailed them and received a reply that they are the same both sides. It may be different with different manufactures I suppose.

Chryco Psycho

From the factory the the right spring had extra 1/2 leafs , they should be different
Having said that Don't use Mopar Performance HD springs , they are made in Mexico & sag immediately !

Mopar5

Hopefully the Espo springs will be good

7212Mopar

I added a leaf from the old spring to the made in Mexico Mopar spring to bring the rear up. Otherwise it is too low and don't look good. You do need adjustable shocks to control the added spring rate.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Mrbill426

Were the original springs painted black from the factory or left bare metal?  If painted were they flat, semi-gloss, or gloss?

:wrenching:

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 01, 2020, 11:53:59 AM
Were the original springs painted black from the factory or left bare metal?  If painted were they flat, semi-gloss, or gloss?

:wrenching:

If anybody can post pictures of Dave Waldon's 1970 OE Gold Challenger, I would say that the best example of what they should be. Looks like a natural iron steel colour, sort of a greyish flat black kind of colour, maybe close to a black phosphate colour...kind of hard to describe. :huh:

I've seen professional shops paint them like a glossy black as well, so it's really a matter of personal preference I guess :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopar5

The rear end is in ! Thanks for all the ideas. I ended up using a 19 x 32 inch 1/4  steel plate i through bolted to my floor jack to make a platform . Using the platform idea was primarily because I didn't want to damage the paint work . I installed the front hangers to spring first then rolled the assembly under . Then installed the rear shackles and lowered the assembly onto the springs with the jack. It is good to see it finally sitting on tires. I will get some pics.

Mopar5

Here is a few

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopar5

JS29

Chryco Psycho