Main Menu

rear end noise

Started by mjb765, August 19, 2017, 03:52:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mjb765

Just venting---new center section from Randy's Ring and Pinion making a loud clunking noise. Drained the fluid and pulled to check things out.....found the tooth at the bottom of the picture in the fluid as it came out......Rear is at a local guy for spider gear replacement.......I'm just a bit pissed. 100 miles on it and so tired of their B.S. I just went somewhere else. 

Brads70

Uggg , not fun.... or nice. :sorry:

Rev-It-Up

Rev-It-Up

Cuda Cody

That sucks big time.    :verymad:  Why do you think it broke? 

mjb765

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 19, 2017, 06:22:25 PM
That sucks big time.    :verymad:  Why do you think it broke?

Good question.....I called them after the install and told them it was not smooth on hard turns and I was told the clutches need to break in and to add a 2nd bottle of additive...then it started clunking so they said change the fluid and re-fill with a fresh bottle of limited slip additive....then I found this.....maybe 100 miles on this rear. 

Bluemonster71RT

I know your pain. I bought my center section brand new but was 7 years before I actually got to drive the car with it. It started making noise after about 700-800 miles. I drained the fluid and it was all black and the edges of the teeth on the ring were being chewed off. Brought it to a re-builder it was shimmed wrong.  I suppose its good now but still makes noise and probably will forever now. Sorry you have to deal with this.   

HP_Cuda

My guess is it wasn't setup correctly when it left. Incorrect lash set, incorrect reassembly, etc.

Hence the missing tooth.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: HP_Cuda on August 20, 2017, 11:09:03 AM

My guess is it wasn't setup correctly when it left. Incorrect lash set, incorrect reassembly, etc.

Hence the missing tooth.

Problem with that scenario is it's not the ring & pinion that broke, it's one of the spider gears...  Those are not adjustable, they are supplied as an assembly with the locker/sure grip/trac lok......   Randy's should stand behind it but it's a problem at the manufacturer level not the supplier...

Shane Kelley

I build my own rear ends and I get my parts from Dr Diff. I have had no issues with any of them and I have done about 6. They all run quite and have been reliable. From 3.55 to 4.11. One went behind a Hemi with a 5 speed and one behind a big block with a 4 speed.  He sells complete ready to run third members also.

mjb765

Quote from: Shane Kelley on August 20, 2017, 11:39:05 AM
I build my own rear ends and I get my parts from Dr Diff. I have had no issues with any of them and I have done about 6. They all run quite and have been reliable. From 3.55 to 4.11. One went behind a Hemi with a 5 speed and one behind a big block with a 4 speed.  He sells complete ready to run third members also.

I tried to buy from him but he was out of stock when I needed it. He said could be 8-12 weeks. So I learn the hard way....at least I know it will be done right this time. We will see if Randy's stands behind anything....it will be tough since I didn't send it back to them but I will give them a chance to pay for at least part of the repair.

mjb765

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 20, 2017, 11:21:08 AM

Hence the missing tooth.

Problem with that scenario is it's not the ring & pinion that broke, it's one of the spider gears...  Those are not adjustable, they are supplied as an assembly with the locker/sure grip/trac lok......   Randy's should stand behind it but it's a problem at the manufacturer level not the supplier...

I think Randy's builds their own assembly..they buy the spider gears and clutches and do the labor in house.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: mjb765 on August 20, 2017, 11:45:38 AM

Hence the missing tooth.

I think Randy's builds their own assembly..they buy the spider gears and clutches and do the labor in house.

I would find that odd, the cost of individual components is considerably higher then buying an assembly.... Unless they are rebuilding a used sure grip assembly which doesn't appear to be the case in the pictures you posted....

mjb765

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 20, 2017, 12:07:45 PM

Hence the missing tooth.

I would find that odd, the cost of individual components is considerably higher then buying an assembly.... Unless they are rebuilding a used sure grip assembly which doesn't appear to be the case in the pictures you posted....

I will be asking that question tomorrow when I call.....

HP_Cuda

Just as I thought....

This should be interesting.

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 20, 2017, 12:07:45 PM

Hence the missing tooth.

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cudabob496

sawdust should make the noise go away
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.