Main Menu

starter noise

Started by mjb765, August 01, 2017, 05:52:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mjb765

383, 4 speed....Got a new flywheel and clutch setup from brewers and just put everything back together and I am getting a scraping noise after the motor starts. It looks like the starter is engaging the flywheel too deep and the part around the gear is scraping. I read that stock starters should not need shims, but it looks like this one does. can't really find too many shims online....any thoughts or ideas on what to get and where? Does the starter need to come out...if it does, I may just go with a mini since the stock one weighs a ton......any recommendations which one? 

Cuda Cody

I've gotten mini starters from @MoparDave  and they have worked awesome!   :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

It could be a number of problems , drive not allowing it to disengage fully , flex plate bolts hitting the block or pan , starter housing hitting ,
I would pull the starter & take a look , see if there is any obvious issues .I have never used shims on any Mopar starter .
On Pixies Duster we used amini starter from a local supplier , possibly O Rileys from a V8 Dodge Ram for approx $50

mjb765

No noise when running so flywheel is not hitting anything. The noise is on crank and when the motor fires. I have the cover off and it looks like the part right behind the gear on the starter is touching the flywheel. Once running no noise at all from the area by the starter or clutch.

mjb765

UPDATE--pulled the starter tonight--no metal shim (or is it a metal gasket to block the big opening) between bell housing and starter..parts ordered and we will see what happens.