Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Looking at a transmission rebuild and got thinking about swapping to an A-518.

Saw an add for a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd trans...will that work?

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

BIGSHCLUNK

Will it bolt to your motor... yes as small block to small block / big block to big block. I dont remember if you would need to change the flex plate tho.... (depending on converter). But there are a few other things.... like drive shaft and such.

6bblgt

no big block A518s but there are aftermarket bellhousings to remedy that

BIGSHCLUNK

Correct no big block 518's , just a general statement

RUNCHARGER

Yup: It's a good trans but surgery is required.
Sheldon

Cudajason

Crap sorry guys...I am aware of all the work to put in a 518...but though the they were available up to the early 90s, not 1997.

Is the a reason the 1997 will not work?  Are they computer controlled?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Katfish

No surgery required, you want an RH not the RE.
I believe 95 was the last year for 46RH

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Katfish on August 19, 2019, 07:13:49 PM
No surgery required, you want an RH not the RE.
I believe 95 was the last year for 46RH

Thank you for posting the correct info...

97 is a electronically controlled 518.... Without a little black box it won't work...

However a 89 through 95 518 will work... As will a 89-95 500 which actually has an advantage of a lower first & second gear...

As far as hacking out the trans crossmember, yeah thats what all the magazines said back in the 90's & even in the early 2000 time frame... Even though in 2000 I put a 518 in a 70 Challenger without cutting the car at all.... And I showed the guys from Mopar Muscle what I'd done & they talked about doing an article about it but decided it just wasn't that important....  So the wrong info continues to be regurgitated nearly twenty years later...

So the deal is you cut away a far bit of webbing at the rear of the trans...  Honestly when I did it I thought the case might fail from removing so much reinforcement... But it's been nearly twenty years & no issues...

At the time I did it I figured if it fails I'll swap the case & maybe rework the crossmember or maybe take the 518 back out....  But it's been fine...

So with a little trimming on the trans case, and a custom crossmember, some custom trans cooler lines since stock is 5/16 & the 518 needs more flow so it uses 3/8 cooler lines.....  Which Fines Lines bent up for me at no additional cost.... And a shorter drive shaft....  Overall it's a pretty easy swap...

360fish

The 518 was one of the best things I did to my '73...  no changes to the body...

I wrote a little guide on how to do it here if you're interested...

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=84774.0

Hope you find one you can use!
1973 'Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 360fish on August 19, 2019, 10:05:20 PM
The 518 was one of the best things I did to my '73...  no changes to the body...

Welcome!!! Thanks for joining & repeating the fact that hacking isn't required....

Cudajason

Thanks guys...the 97 I was looking at was 200 bucks...best price I have seen....oh well I will keep looking.

@360fish a little guide...that's funny.  I have seen your post, its awesome.  I actually had it up on my screen while looking at the 97 trans to see if it would work.

Welcome to the club over here!!!

Jason

gzig5

Can you expand on the switch for the OD?  That engages and disengages the OD?  What is the consequence of having it on all the time?  I can't see myself flipping that switch on and off all the time while driving.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: gzig5 on August 20, 2019, 09:54:44 AM

Can you expand on the switch for the OD?  That engages and disengages the OD?  What is the consequence of having it on all the time?  I can't see myself flipping that switch on and off all the time while driving.

The consequence is taking off from a dead stop, first & second gear will be normal... But when the trans shifts into third gear it will instead shift straight to overdrive...

So why use a switch & manually select O/D? wire it up so it's automatic...

I cut & pasted this from the web... Gary Donovan wrote it...

If you need part numbers or a better explanation of how it's wired lmk..

Katfish

360fish was the inspiration for my 518 swap.
I added details for an automatic switch to the above link.

Thx again Fish, awesome job!

360fish

Thanks guys...
Never imagined that guide would get soo many hits...
Very much appreciate all the add-ons people provided too!
Really happy to find the community is still going strong over here!   :grouphug:

Now, we have to find a tranny for Cudajason  :fingerscrossed:
1973 'Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset