Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Gentlemen,  a sincere thank you to everyone that helped or offered to help me out with finding a OD transmission form my Cuda.

the always cool Murray ( @blown motor ) put me in touch with his local transmission guy, and he has a few A500 RHs laying around and is more than willing to sell me one at a very reasonable price.  I am picking it up next Friday.

Thanks again Murray!

I am excited to tear into the car and the transmission (I have always wanted to rebuild a transmission, its one of the few things I have not really touched on my car). 

So the search is over, and the fun...work, begins!

Lets hope its not a cold winter!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

Always glad to help someone out. Maybe when your working on it I'll stop by and you can school me on automatic transmissions.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

1 Wild R/T

Awesome!!

If you haven't already done so you should order one of these.... 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283543160122

And two of these....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152017683597

Trust me....  Or the man I got the info from Gdonovan......

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 15, 2019, 04:32:49 PM
Awesome!!

If you haven't already done so you should order one of these.... 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283543160122

And two of these....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152017683597

Trust me....  Or the man I got the info from Gdonovan......

Thanks man. That looks interesting and complicated. Honestly I was just going to use a couple of toggle switches to manually engage to OD and LU...but I may try that too!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

It's actually pretty simple & should be very effective...

dodj

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 16, 2019, 02:15:08 PM
It's actually pretty simple & should be very effective...
:iagree:
It's not complicated at all. Do as Wild says..and...we will be able to text you through it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

Lol...im 95% finished on the rebuild of my A518/46rh transmission.   Today cleaned the valve body and put in the transgo JR shift correction kit.   I plan on just using two toggle switches for the LU and OD also... i dont really need either all that often, and by doing it manually, i might just leave the OD engaged always.   I have 14" tires and 3.23 gears.   When i first put in the built 360 the car still had the 2.76 rear axle.   Those 360's have a ton of torque (and now its a 408 so even more torque), and normal acceleration wasnt all that bad  with the 2.76.   My gas mileage dropped about 4 mpg when i put in the 3.23.   So, now that its a 3.23...3.23 x .66 = 2.13...ill bet for street local driving it will be enough with that torque monster in it.   At least ill find out.   Lock up of course is another question, it cant be left on manually or ill stall out when coming to a stop.

Regarding rebuild of the A500, it should be easy.   I did my 904 three years ago without a hitch, and im 95% of the way finished doing my A518.   As a guide i watched youtube videos step by step..   For the A518 i watched Chrysler 46RE Class Part 1 lesson 1 thru till the end.   ITs for an RE but the differences are the RE doesnt have a governor, and the valve body is a little different.   

Any questions just pm me. 

Cudajason

360fish

:bravo: 

Now it's time to  :wrenching:

Looking forward to pictures...   :popcorn:
1973 'Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset

Brads70

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Brads70 on November 22, 2019, 07:34:44 PM
Wow that looks big and heavy!  :unbelievable:

Little under 150 lbs... 25 lbs heavier than a 727  But 50 lbs lighter than a 727 with a GV...

chargerdon

I see it comes with a torque converter.   You might be wise to simply throw it away, and buy a new one, and dont trust the old one.     They don't have to cost an arm and a leg.   I bought a rebuilt torque converter for my 904 from Torco in california (they advertise on ebay).   It worked perfectly.. 

So, for my A518 i bought another from them...  Lockup high stall (2200-2600) for $169 and i think free shipping. 

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on November 22, 2019, 07:34:44 PM
Wow that looks big and heavy!  :unbelievable:

Yeah shes a heavy beast...pulled it our of the back of my parts hauler POS by myself...it was easier to load with two people.

Already pulled of the old mount and whats left of the crossmember and the counter weight (?) on the tail shaft. That thing has sone weight to it!!

I started cleaning some of the crap off and there was a bunch.

Looking forward to pulling it apart and figuring out what else I need.

Cudajason

Quote from: chargerdon on November 23, 2019, 06:29:04 AM
I see it comes with a torque converter.   You might be wise to simply throw it away, and buy a new one, and dont trust the old one.     They don't have to cost an arm and a leg.   I bought a rebuilt torque converter for my 904 from Torco in california (they advertise on ebay).   It worked perfectly.. 

So, for my A518 i bought another from them...  Lockup high stall (2200-2600) for $169 and i think free shipping.

Yeah it did.  The guy I got it from said it was a working trans (he owns a trans shop BTW). He thought it would be good, however there are no weights on the TC so I either have to weld one one (pretty sure my current TC has a weight) or figure out another option (different flex-plate etc.).

I will check out the guys above for TC. I would like to match the TC to the engine. 

Do the numbers on the TC tell me what the Stall speed is?

Jason

chargerdon

Quote from: Cudajason on November 23, 2019, 08:45:50 AM
Quote from: chargerdon on November 23, 2019, 06:29:04 AM

Yeah it did.  The guy I got it from said it was a working trans (he owns a trans shop BTW). He thought it would be good, however there are no weights on the TC so I either have to weld one one (pretty sure my current TC has a weight) or figure out another option (different flex-plate etc.).

I will check out the guys above for TC. I would like to match the TC to the engine. 

Do the numbers on the TC tell me what the Stall speed is?

Jason

Regarding the weighting...  I take it you have an un-balanced 360 ?   You can put balance weights on either the torque converter, or a flex plate that is balanced.    I have a fairly new B&M flex plate for unbalanced engine.    see: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10236/overview/make/dodge  Doing that will give you more latitude in what torque converter you use.   pm me if interested.