Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Majority of the time the first attempts at custom don't stand a chance.
On my build almost everything has been done at least twice.
Everything....

This improvement will be worth it in the end.
I am a firm believer in upgrading these old cars. New ones are so good now. Anything improving the experience to allow decision to drive more often is worth it.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Got my parts in!  Had to reorder them mid last week, I tried a new place in Canada and after ordering they told me they did not have what I ordered in stock.

Oh well back to trusty RockAuto and Summit.

Just working on prepping the case for paint then a good clean and reassembly! 

I have the week off next week, so going to take a big swing at it then!!!

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

:cheers: to next week being full of progress.

Mike.

Cudajason

Made some more progress.  Got the overdrive all cleaned up for paint. It is hot an humid out this week so its slow going.

Cleaned up the rest of the case with some simple green today and started wire brushing it. i expect it this part to go a lot quicker, not a lot of little intricate pieces to clean up.

My tip of the day, when rebuilding a transmission, try to get a clean case, because if you want to paint it they are a bitch to clean up.

My revelation of the day, I am not and may not ever be a rat rodder, i have spent hours cleaning the case just to paint it flat black and put in my old beater.

Monday I went and picked up the last two parts I needed, OD main clutch snap ring (the only part I found broken or worn out during disassembly) and a new OD roller clutch/sprag. I seem to be missing one of the roller bearings in the sprag). Found a somewhat local place that carries some of the hard parts.

Tomorrow finishing cleaning and on the prime and paint.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Well got the case painted. On the the final cleaning of parts and reassembly.

Jason

YellowThumper

Wasn't all the grime black before?

:bravo: BTW.

Mike.

Cudajason

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 02, 2020, 10:03:14 AM
Wasn't all the grime black before?

:bravo: BTW.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Yeah it was.  I just could not leave it like that.

Jason

Cudajason

Played hokey from the office today and put the OD section together.

Pretty comfortable it is all together correctly!!

YellowThumper

Cool deal. Do you have any timeframe in your head for install?

Mike.

Cudajason

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 10, 2020, 09:27:41 PM
Cool deal. Do you have any timeframe in your head for install?

@YellowThumper, good question...not really at this point.  I was supposed to be done and in Carlisle right now, but of course I am not, but not beign done  is not the reason I am not there, but knowing I was not going has slowed me down.

the biggest thing slowing me down has been my lack of funds, I was anticipating a referral bonus at work, but due to Covid, I lost that bonus.  Not complaining, it is what it is, but that cash would have been nice.

So now I am getting the things I need week by week.  I still need a flax plate and TQ converter at this point.

I figure if can get this done by the end of august, that's cool (that means the car will be down for a full year), but if it take longer that's cool to.  Its not like there are any events happening around these parts this year anyway. 

Either way I am happy  :wrenching: or  :burnout: :stayinlane:

Jason

BIGSHCLUNK

Looks like your making progress!   :banana:

Cudajason

:takemymoney:
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on July 11, 2020, 08:29:34 AM
Looks like your making progress!   :banana:

Yeah slowly but surely. I'll get there.

Jason

Cudajason

More progress today. I have to clean a bunch of parts tomorrow and hopefully make some more progress.

I also figured out that my rebuild kit is missing a set of frictions...hope that gets sorted out and rockauto sends then early next week.

Jason

Cudajason

More progress.
Got the driveline installed. On to the valve body this weekend.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

BIGSHCLUNK