Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 03, 2020, 06:58:30 AM
Good progress Jason. I'll be reviewing this thread as my son is doing this swap in his Charger. We'll have to get the JW bell for a big block though.

Thanks man. Any questions, happy to help out.

A question- how much clearance do you think is needed and the driver side of the trans tunnel, or in other words how much does the trans really move.

The silver piece in the pic below is my kickdown cable bracket, not a lot of room there!!

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 03, 2020, 06:58:30 AM
Good progress Jason. I'll be reviewing this thread as my son is doing this swap in his Charger. We'll have to get the JW bell for a big block though.
A 518 can handle the torque of a big block?  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Katfish

What kind of kick down are you using?
I'd be uncomfortable with that bracket so close.
Not cheap, but the Bouchillion cable kit works well.
It's basically a copy of the stock system.

Cudajason

Quote from: Katfish on September 03, 2020, 05:49:06 PM
What kind of kick down are you using?
I'd be uncomfortable with that bracket so close.
Not cheap, but the Bouchillion cable kit works well.
It's basically a copy of the stock system.

Hey @Katfish
I am using a lokar cable. It worked awesome on my 727. I was hoping to use it here.

I think I am going to try and dimple the floor a bit for clearance and see if it works.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Well, I thought I had a solution to my kickdown problem.

I moved the bracket down one bolt on the case, and it looked like it would work, but once I got all the shift linkage hooked up and started on the fluid lines, it was clear that spot would not work.

So I think my only option now is to drop the trans and make some clearance in the floor for the kickdown bracket.

The other option I was thinking of was to fab a bouchilon style bracket, basically a 90 degree bracket mounted to same spot as the shifter bracket. But even that will be tight with the trans line there.

So what do you guys think, drop the trans and get pit the hammer or do you have any other ideas.

Katfish

Hard to tell what's going on with the pics upside down?
Does that Lokar kit come into the trans at a 90deg angle?
Nice thing about the factory/boucillion style, it routes parallel to trans and comes in from rear.
So there's no issues with the cooler lines.
I routed mine over the top of the tranny towards passenger side then loops around and connects coming back from rear of car.

Katfish

Here's a pic of mine before adding some washers to space the bracket up so there's no interference with the cooler line.

Cudajason

I have the worst luck with pics here. I even rotated those on my phone and reposted them. Stil upside down.

@Katfish thanks for the pic. That is helpful.

I whipped up a similar bracket this morning. Looks like it will work, just have to shorten the cable at the other end.

There is still a lot going on in that spot, but it looks like it will all work.

Now on to fabbing the lines.  Looks like I am going to be too close to the exhaust to run rubber from the trans to the frame wher it meets the hard lines.  Off to find some more fittings!!!

Jason

Cudajason

Wooohooo the pics are right side up!!!!

Brads70

Looking great Jason! Don't let it beat you!  :bravo:

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on September 05, 2020, 01:11:51 PM
Looking great Jason! Don't let it beat you!  :bravo:

Oh heck no...I have really enjoyed this project.

YellowThumper

Glad to hear you are ticking through the issues.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Scooter

Quote from: Cudajason on September 05, 2020, 08:50:13 AM
I have the worst luck with pics here. I even rotated those on my phone and reposted them. Stil upside down.

I whipped up a similar bracket this morning. Looks like it will work, just have to shorten the cable at the other end.

Now on to fabbing the lines.  Looks like I am going to be too close to the exhaust to run rubber from the trans to the frame wher it meets the hard lines.  Off to find some more fittings!!!

Jason

^^ Looking good. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else in this thread, is that neutral safety switch and connector stock on that tranny? The cannon plug style connector on my 727 interferes with the shift linkage so I left it off. I can live w/o the neutral safety switch.. but miss the reverse lights.

Cudajason

Quote from: Scooter on September 06, 2020, 11:29:08 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on September 05, 2020, 08:50:13 AM

Jason

^^ Looking good. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else in this thread, is that neutral safety switch and connector stock on that tranny? The cannon plug style connector on my 727 interferes with the shift linkage so I left it off. I can live w/o the neutral safety switch.. but miss the reverse lights.

@Scooter yeah man, that is the factory NSS and connector. Not sure why it would not work on yours...I used the same one on my 727 and did not have any issues.

Jason

Cudajason

Spent most of the afternoon in the garage bending up lines from the trans to the frame to meet the lines to the cooler.

I just need to add  couple of more fittings and a small piece of rubber lines. Took a lot of time, and I am not sure I am happy with it yet,  but it will do for now. Eventually I may spend the money on some braided  lines and AN fittings for this section. I dont like the idea of hard lines all the way to the cooler, if something goes wrong I figure the trans lines could snap and then fluid everywhere.

I played with the shit linkage as well and think I have it adjusted properly. Not sure my Slap stik it working right, it does not seem to "lock" into first gear, but then maybe i just remember how it is supposed to work.

Today I am going to drop the trans cross member and clearance it a little more for the speedo cable, I may add a spacer to the mount as well as it lookes like the trans is hanging pretty low, but I am not sure.

Also put the new pan with drain plug on yesterday. It look deeper then the one that came off which is good I guess.