Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Interesting on the "core" charge comment for torque converters. 

The vendor i used Torco in California does not charge a core charge.  Their high stall (2300-2600) with LU for my A518 was $169 with free shipping and no core charge.  Includes 1 yr warranty.    If they charge a core charge, it probably wouldn't have been worth it anyways as Shipping charges for an item that heavy to Ca from NC would have been about $30-$40.   So far it has operated flawlessly.   Prices in general on Torque Converters vary WILDLY...  I paid $169 for mine and i have seen some on Ebay for as low as $119, or if you buy some of the super high performance like TCI streetfigher...they run in the $400 and up range.   TCI doesnt charge a core charge either. 

After i got my A518 in and running with no problems, i advertised my old 904 transmission on E-bay for $150.   I felt that was a cheap price as i had overhauled it also and the "kit" for it was around $100.   Guy came to buy it, and i offered him my Torco 904 torque converter for another $50 and he gobbled it up.   Cheap for him as i had paid i believe $119 for it two years previous.  I was happy to pocket $200 and clean out my garage !! 

Cudajason

Quote from: chargerdon on October 29, 2020, 11:46:32 AM

The vendor i used Torco in California does not charge a core charge.  Their high stall (2300-2600) with LU for my A518 was $169 with free shipping and no core charge.  Includes 1 yr warranty.    If they charge a core charge, it probably wouldn't have been worth it anyways as Shipping charges for an item that heavy to Ca from NC would have been about $30-$40.   So far it has operated flawlessly.   Prices in general on Torque Converters vary WILDLY...  I paid $169 for mine and i have seen some on Ebay for as low as $119, or if you buy some of the super high performance like TCI streetfigher...they run in the $400 and up range.   TCI doesnt charge a core charge either. 

After i got my A518 in and running with no problems, i advertised my old 904 transmission on E-bay for $150.   I felt that was a cheap price as i had overhauled it also and the "kit" for it was around $100.   Guy came to buy it, and i offered him my Torco 904 torque converter for another $50 and he gobbled it up.   Cheap for him as i had paid i believe $119 for it two years previous.  I was happy to pocket $200 and clean out my garage !!

I tried them...called twice and sent at least 3 emails...no response!  I was disappointed as I was hopeful on using a little higher stall then I have.  In the end I went with a local NAPA converter.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 29, 2020, 10:56:20 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on October 29, 2020, 10:18:50 AM
what do you think I used as a core for the new converter?

Perfect, so now don't toss the one from the old 727.

that will go with the tans if and when I sell it!!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

chargerdon

Quote from: Cudajason on October 29, 2020, 11:56:14 AM

I tried them...called twice and sent at least 3 emails...no response!  I was disappointed as I was hopeful on using a little higher stall then I have.  In the end I went with a local NAPA converter.

strange...  I placed an order thru Ebay and same day i got a phone call from them, asking questions about my engine and intended usage.   Explained that its a 360 with stroker kit to 408 and it is internally balanced...   He (Johnny) understood asked what cam shaft i was using (Lunati 703) and suggested their 2300-2600 stall speed.    It came within a week...3 days of which was the shipping... CA to NC.    It went right in no problems, and works well...    I have "tested" the stall speed by foot breaking and watching the tach till the tires broke loose and it was right around 2400 RPM...   I'm sure that would vary depending on tires, rear end, and track base...   

Its high enough stall speed as i had experienced strong shutter and surging when idling in gear, when i had the Mopar Purple 508 cam in it...   Hated that cam...  too much for the street...   No such problem with the Lunati and this stall speed.   

Cudajason

Quote from: chargerdon on October 30, 2020, 05:56:25 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on October 29, 2020, 11:56:14 AM

strange...  I placed an order thru Ebay and same day i got a phone call from them, asking questions about my engine and intended usage.   Explained that its a 360 with stroker kit to 408 and it is internally balanced...   He (Johnny) understood asked what cam shaft i was using (Lunati 703) and suggested their 2300-2600 stall speed.    It came within a week...3 days of which was the shipping... CA to NC.    It went right in no problems, and works well...    I have "tested" the stall speed by foot breaking and watching the tach till the tires broke loose and it was right around 2400 RPM...   I'm sure that would vary depending on tires, rear end, and track base...   

Its high enough stall speed as i had experienced strong shutter and surging when idling in gear, when i had the Mopar Purple 508 cam in it...   Hated that cam...  too much for the street...   No such problem with the Lunati and this stall speed.

maybe that was my mistake, I just emailed him and did not order it.  Either way, the car works fine...so I am happy, car works great.  will spin the tires at will.

chargerdon

Fantastic !!!!!!!   Wish we were closer !!

Cudajason

Just for fun, I thought I would update this thread for anyone that is interested.

I recently went for the first really big drive in the car 100 miles round trip mostly 2 lane highway.

What a treat! 55 / 60 mph most of the way, the old girl spins about 1600 rpm with he OD and LU engaged.   The cam loves it at the rpm, just smooth as silk.  it is so different from running over 2500 rpm.  I always find that the engine is screaming at the rpm and it makes this a little hectic, at under 2000, its much more relaxed.

Hands down the best ever mod I have made to the car and worth every penny and second it took to get it done.

1 Wild R/T

Glad you like...  I agree it's one of the best mods for these old cars if you actually drive it...

YellowThumper

Glad to hear. Thanks for the update.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

Quote from: Cudajason on September 24, 2021, 10:24:15 AM
Just for fun, I thought I would update this thread for anyone that is interested.

I recently went for the first really big drive in the car 100 miles round trip mostly 2 lane highway.

What a treat! 55 / 60 mph most of the way, the old girl spins about 1600 rpm with he OD and LU engaged.   The cam loves it at the rpm, just smooth as silk.  it is so different from running over 2500 rpm.  I always find that the engine is screaming at the rpm and it makes this a little hectic, at under 2000, its much more relaxed.

Hands down the best ever mod I have made to the car and worth every penny and second it took to get it done.
Sounds great. I'd like to install a 5 or 6 speed in place of the 833, but last I checked it would be at least 5k-6k to do the job.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on September 28, 2021, 03:53:31 AM

Sounds great. I'd like to install a 5 or 6 speed in place of the 833, but last I checked it would be at least 5k-6k to do the job.

Wow that is pricy!  I would say I have $2,500 - $3,000 CAD into this swap.  But that includes a welder ($350), Hydraulic press ($200) and a few other tools that I needed / want.  If it were $5,000 I would still be saving.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Cudajason on September 28, 2021, 05:40:40 AM

Wow that is pricy!  I would say I have $2,500 - $3,000 CAD into this swap.  But that includes a welder ($350), Hydraulic press ($200) and a few other tools that I needed / want.  If it were $5,000 I would still be saving.
@Cudajason you also have to de-calculate (I know not a word) all the $$$ you will not be spending on fuel.
Conservatively 2 miles per gallon increase equates to $??? Savings on the 100 mile trip you just took.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Quote from: YellowThumper on September 28, 2021, 11:04:43 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on September 28, 2021, 05:40:40 AM

@Cudajason you also have to de-calculate (I know not a word) all the $$$ you will not be spending on fuel.
Conservatively 2 miles per gallon increase equates to $??? Savings on the 100 mile trip you just took.

@YellowThumper   Yeah true...but I have not used the car enough yet to reap those rewards.  I need to deal with my cooling issue, and now the electrical /  over charging issue, them maybe I will drive the car more and get that benefit.

blown motor

Forget the gas savings. The real reward to all this is putting on some miles to hang out with guys like Brad and I!  :haha:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on September 28, 2021, 02:56:09 PM
Forget the gas savings. The real reward to all this is putting on some miles to hang out with guys like Brad and I!  :haha:

there is some truth to that Murray.

Smiles per gallon!