Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

All ready now for SoCal Spring Fling...
Congratulations on this momentous achievement.

And yes digging that deep definitely improves the taste of completion.  :cheers:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Well, after rewiring the OD and LU solenoids and confirming they had power, I headed out for a spin.

I got on the highway and brought it up to speed, running at 65MPH / 100KPH I was turning 2800 RPM, and I flipped the switch for OD, and nothing. I then flipped the second switch for LU, still nothing, they it happened...BOOM....the OD kicked in and the revs dropped to 2000.   :woohoo: :woohoo:

I cruised along for a few mins like that and it felt awesome, what a difference running along at that RPM is.

I took it up to a 90 MPH  / 145 KPH and it cruised along at 2500 RPM or so.  Even with out the kickdown into 3rd, the car accelerated up to that speed just fine.

I also tried the OD around town and found that even at cruising speed of around then 30 MPH/50 KPH, the OD kicked in and the engine felt happy at the low revs, under 1000.

The only compliant is that I don't see any real benefit from the LU, I know it works, because I left it on coming off the highway and the car almost stalled, but I do not see any noticeable drop in revs with it engaged.  Of course I am using a factory tach (it has been updated to the electronic board, but who know how accurate it really is).

Over all I am pretty happy and cant wait for next summer and really put some miles on the car.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

chargerdon

Cuda-Jason...  same results on my car...the OD for whatever reason takes a full 1-2 seconds to engage after i flip my switch.   With my engine, it is happy with the OD engaged for cruising at 40 MPH or higher...  Below that and it feels a little rough. 

The LU engages much quicker and results in about another 200 rpm drop at 50 mph.   While that is not much, i'm sure that it has a much greater effect on gas mileage...  ie.  with it locked in you can assume near 100% efficiency from the TC, instead of probably 94% efficiency.  That probably buys us another 1/2-3/4 MPG, and I'm sure even more important is it will run much cooler without that slippage. 

I'm happy with using a Toggle switch to engage OD, but, i do believe that i'm going to put in place a 40 PSI pressure switch to prevent the LU from being engaged below 40 mph.   Reason, is the same as you, don't want to risk damaging anything by forgetting to turn it off before coming to a stop.   I did that once and while the engine didn't die, it shuddered a lot, which i'm sure is BAD!!!! Conversely, it doesn't seem to hurt anything if you leave the OD on.   Come to a stop and you still pull out in 1'st, then 2nd, and then a shift to OD instead of straight.   So putting in line the LU speed sensitive switch makes great sense and is a lot simpler than worrying about how to make both fully automatic. 

Cudajason

Went for a spin again today...around 60 miles 

I noticed the rpm drop with the LU. It seems to cut 300 rpm off.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jimynick

"Went for a spin again today...around 60 miles "  Damn, I'm just SO jealous! Enjoy Jason, you've earned every bit of it. Did you take Mike out for a blast, too?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on October 26, 2020, 06:34:34 PM
"Went for a spin again today...around 60 miles "  Damn, I'm just SO jealous! Enjoy Jason, you've earned every bit of it. Did you take Mike out for a blast, too?  :cheers:

@jimynick the wee man did in fact accompany me on that 60 mile spin.  He was in charge of the tunes as he always is.  One of his favorite things to do is to go for a drive. I am looking forward to many more weekend afternoon drives with him next year.

Jay Bee

There's one more thing you should do on the way to button this all up...
Change your profile's signature from 360/727 to 360/A500  :D.

Cudajason

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 27, 2020, 12:20:57 PM
There's one more thing you should do on the way to button this all up...
Change your profile's signature from 360/727 to 360/A500  :D.

OHHHH good call!

JS29

Not it's my wife's car should be NO it's not my wife's car. There i go correcting someone else's grammar when I didn't graduate high school.   :dunno:

Cudajason

Quote from: JS29 on October 27, 2020, 01:09:27 PM
Not it's my wife's car should be NO it's not my wife's car. There i go correcting someone else's grammar when I didn't graduate high school.   :dunno:

:haha: :rofl: :haha: :rofl:    :thinking: hmmm funny no one has ever noticed that before!

JS29

Ya leave it to me to notice something like that!  :rofl:

YellowThumper

Would you prefer to posses proper grammar all the time or an overdrive in your Mopar?

Fyi I noticed it but was not my place to say...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Jay Bee

Jason, Reply#116 from chargerdon suggested you throw that converter away. I recommend you hang on to it in case you need it for a core exchange.

This happened to me. I had a crap torque converter in my basement that I got rid of with other scrap metal. When my car snapped 2 teeth off its converter I needed a core replacement to keep cost down. Luckily, my Mopar mechanic had one that he donated for the purpose and he just kept the one with broken teeth.  Please learn from my mistake.

Cudajason

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 29, 2020, 08:20:54 AM
Jason, Reply#116 from chargerdon suggested you throw that converter away. I recommend you hang on to it in case you need it for a core exchange.

This happened to me. I had a crap torque converter in my basement that I got rid of with other scrap metal. When my car snapped 2 teeth off its converter I needed a core replacement to keep cost down. Luckily, my Mopar mechanic had one that he donated for the purpose and he just kept the one with broken teeth.  Please learn from my mistake.

Thanks @Jay Bee, what do you think I used as a core for the new converter?????   :yes: :yes: :yes:

Quote from: YellowThumper on October 29, 2020, 08:05:54 AM
Would you prefer to posses proper grammar all the time or an overdrive in your Mopar?

Fyi I noticed it but was not my place to say...
Quote from: JS29 on October 27, 2020, 02:01:04 PM
Ya leave it to me to notice something like that!  :rofl:

@YellowThumper and @JS29 no worries felas...I think its hilarious.  I suck at spelling and grammar, I know it, so I never have a problem being corrected on it.    Truth be told, I would like both, proper grammar and the OD, sadly I only have one and still have to work on the other!   :haha: :rofl: :thinking: :thinking:

Jason

Jay Bee

Quote from: Cudajason on October 29, 2020, 10:18:50 AM
what do you think I used as a core for the new converter?

Perfect, so now don't toss the one from the old 727.