Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 360fish on August 20, 2019, 07:54:20 PM

Now, we have to find a tranny for Cudajason  :fingerscrossed:

Well I was gonna be a smartass & post a photo but I searched Tranny & the photos flat out scared me.... Yuck!!!  I hope my computer forgives me.....

And I can only imagine what Goggle is gonna suggest for me next...

360fish

1973 'Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 360fish on August 20, 2019, 08:58:39 PM
Maybe there is a member in Kansas?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Dodge-A518-46RH-Automatic-Overdrive-Transmission-/202661047589?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

Probably needs work, but I had my tail assembly (careful...) rebuilt...

Pretty good price for a trans that you don't have to pull...  Just gotta get it from central Kansas to Canada..

Cudajason

Thanks guys.

I have seen a 1993 318 with trans for sale for $300, not local but close enough to go get.

I am still deciding which way I want to go.

Pretty sure I damaged the trans in my car, so do I rebuild the 1980 727 Lock up or go the extra mile and convert to the 518.

Decisions decisions decisions.

Either way I think my car is down for the rest of the year.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

A 93 318 could be a 518 or a 500... Honestly the 500 has the advantage of a lower 1st & 2nd gear so don't dismiss it... And if you have a L/U trans from an 80 realized they generated a ton of warranty issues when new... I was working in a Dodge dealer in 82-83 those things were a nightmare... Allot of them got the L/U disabled to stop the complaints... Kinda like what your describing locking & unlocking the convertor at low speeds... In/Out/In/Out..... Clunk Clunk Clunk Clunk.....

Might try disabling the L/U & see if it cures your problem... Gets you back on the road till winter takes over...

Replace the spring with a blocker rod...

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 21, 2019, 11:07:41 AM
A 93 318 could be a 518 or a 500... Honestly the 500 has the advantage of a lower 1st & 2nd gear so don't dismiss it... And if you have a L/U trans from an 80 realized they generated a ton of warranty issues when new... I was working in a Dodge dealer in 82-83 those things were a nightmare... Allot of them got the L/U disabled to stop the complaints... Kinda like what your describing locking & unlocking the convertor at low speeds... In/Out/In/Out..... Clunk Clunk Clunk Clunk.....

Might try disabling the L/U & see if it cures your problem... Gets you back on the road till winter takes over...

REALLY!!!!

how would one disable the lock up function???

The trans has been in the car since I have had it and I have only changed the filter, so it owes me nothing !!!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Burdar

I've got (2) 500s sitting in dad's shop.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind the extra space if I got rid of one.  One of them(possibly the other one too) was from a V6 Dakota 2WD.

Interesting that it will fit an E with only mods to the tail shaft.  I wonder if it's that easy in an A?

1 Wild R/T

Cudajason

hmm, interesting...thanks for positing.  something to consider.  It would certainly conform the problem is the trans.

Jason

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Burdar on August 21, 2019, 11:15:20 AM
I've got (2) 500s sitting in dad's shop.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind the extra space if I got rid of one.  One of them(possibly the other one too) was from a V6 Dakota 2WD.

Interesting that it will fit an E with only mods to the tail shaft.  I wonder if it's that easy in an A?

I haven't tried it on an A body so I'm not gonna offer an opinion... But I'm betting someone has so I'd head over to FABO...  I did a quick search, one guy with a 3gen hemi, one with coil over suspension & one who hacked the crossmember even though in his pictures it looks like you could have trimmed the webbing and had clearance, but without trying it I'm not sure...  I may search more but I wasn't seeing much... To many people have spread the "You have to hack the car up"  stories....

Cudajason

Hey guys,

two questions, does anyone know if a diesel trans will bolt up to a small block?  I assume they are different but not sure.  There seem to be a lot of diesel transmissions available and not many gas versions.

I do have a line on a 4WD trans, with no transfer case...how difficult would it be to add the 2wd tail stock, and can you add one from a later trans???

Jason

Chryco Psycho

$wd would have a different main shaft usually so the whole trans would have to come apart to swap it

chargerdon

Guys, about three years ago i found a 92 A518 for sale for $300 local to me.   Was a little annoyed at the $300 price, but, since it was local it was worth the extra $100. 

I went with the 518 vs the 500 for the simple reason, that, with about 400 hp (360 stroker to 408) i didn't feel that the lighter weight 500 would hold up.   Transmission currently in my 74 challenger is the 904 which i rebuilt myself.   It has operated flawlessly ( tho not happy with the 1-2 shift occurring at only about 3800-4000 RPM but that is a characteristic of the 904) but recently has started showing signs of slipping in first gear.   Dropped pan and changed filter and you can feel some friction material in the fluid so the clutch frictions aren't holding up.   When i overhauled it i had bought a "heavy duty" rebuild kit with the "good" Alto Brand Friction plates.   Supposedly Alto makes the best frictions.  But, with spirited driving the 904 held up for about 2 years, but is now slipping.   Hey, there is a reason why Chrysler would only put the 904 behind slant six and 2 barrel 318's. 

A buddy of mine has a 74 Dart Drag car with built 360 and he uses a 904 as the transmission, because of the better gear ratio's, and the "faster" spool up with the lighter gears.   But, he has to have it rebuilt every racing season as it destroys the clutches by the end of the season.   

I see that now there is a "high performance" rebuild kit with raybestos brand frictions available... maybe those would hold up.  Dont know tho a similar kit to rebuild my A518 is what i bought.   My 92 518 was supposed to be in great running condition, but, i wont install it without doing a clutch and seal rebuild first.   

This is my fall/winter project... 

Cudajason

Does any one know for sure when dodge switched over to the 46RE from the 46RH?

I have a line on a 96 trans. Guy says its a RH, but I am not sure and not too sure how to tell, other than the numbers on the pan rail I guess?

Jason

1 Wild R/T

Look at the drivers side of the trans, to the rear of the shift lever there will be a connector.... The white/yellow 2 or 3 wire connector is a RH