Main Menu

Water pump housing nipple size

Started by CudaS0383, April 30, 2020, 03:33:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaS0383

My '70 383 cuda came to me without the heater hoses hooked up so trying to get it back to factory condition.  The car also came with factory A/C.  Currently there are plugs in the water pump housing and I bought factory correct hoses which are 1/2" and 5/8".  Does anyone know the correct size and location for the 2 nipples that go in the housing?  It looks like my housing has a 1/2" hole and a 3/8" hole but that doesn't seem to jive with the hose sizes.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Also, where can I buy the correct nipples.  Thanks much!

Cuda Cody

1970 is a 1 year only water pump housing in terms of the hole sizes.  Post a photo of what one you have.

CudaS0383

My car is at the shop getting A/C put back in her so don't have a photo that I can post right now of what is in there.  Here is a housing that I got from the previous owner with a p/n of 2780987-12.  You can see a 3/8" hole and a 1/2" one.  I think I will go there tomorrow to get a picture of what is in there.  Thanks for your help.

JonH

Just did this. Look right below the 1/2" plug and you will see another 3/8" npt outlet. Those are the ones you are looking for. The 1/2" plug was likely for a temp sender. Can get the nipples from multiple places. Start at Roseville (a site sponsor) or Mancini.

CudaS0383

OK got pics today of what is in the car and measured the nipple holes.  Both are 1/2".  I think the one closest to the alternator (on the left from top view) is the output of the pump.  Also you can see the p/n of the housing that is in there.  So these hole sizes differ from the previous picture so not sure which one is correct.

anlauto

You'll need this to bring it down to a 1/2" hose :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaS0383

OK thanks for all the help. 

From what I have read on line, the hose from the pump housing to the heater core is 1/2" and the return hose is 5/8".  This was done to cut down on noise.  Does this jive with what you know?

This is what I got.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/Challenger-Cuda/PK68

Chryco Psycho

This should be what you need , you do need the longer nipple behind the alt mount bracket
https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/heater-hose-nipples-70-78-big-block-and-hemi/

anlauto

Pretty certain this is how they go...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 02, 2020, 09:50:38 AM
This should be what you need , you do need the longer nipple behind the alt mount bracket
https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/heater-hose-nipples-70-78-big-block-and-hemi/

The 1/2" hose one in this kit will NOT fit his water pump housing, he'll need the fitting I pictured above. :alan2cents:

CudaS0383

Yes agree with Chryco but they don't specify what size the NPT end is so I called them.  They didn't know and didn't have any in stock to measure so I found some on Summit and ordered them.

Also, agree with anlauto regarding which size hose goes where.  I learned some info that I didn't know regarding NPT pipe sizes.  Even though the hole measures about 1/2" it is technically a 3/8" NPT fitting.  Luckily I found this out before ordering my parts.  So much for being straight forward!

Chryco Psycho

Pipe is measured differently , it is always ID not OD so measuring the hole in not accurate pipe size , Dorman carries a lot of universal nipples even in the longer lenghts

Brads70

Another way to figure out what the size is , google tap drill sizes NPT . This gives you the tap drill size which should be pretty close to the size of the hole.

CudaS0383

OK all set.  Got my parts from Summit yesterday and can now finish the project.  Thanks everyone for your help.

anlauto