Main Menu

Planning for my Warlock - Basic LA 408 Stroker

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, July 13, 2019, 05:00:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bennydodge

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 14, 2019, 10:17:25 AM
Back in the 2000-2005 time frame I saw postings of at least seven 408 cast cranks breaking... But since then I haven't heard of any more...
Was there a casting flaw? Was it an assembly error? As Steve mentioned the cast crank uses radiused fillets, if the builder used a standard radius bearing it could overload the crank... (assuming the crank would even rotate)
I guess I just prefer to trust a forging in spite of the casting likely being fine for the application...
Interesting for sure. I built my engine around 2003-ish and it does have the rolled or radiused style. For the record, once you get up high in the 500 horse range it's wise to go forged..
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

bennydodge

By the way, those Warlock's are damn cool rigs. Got any pics?
1973 Challenger 340
2010 Dodge 3500 dually

autoxcuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 14, 2019, 09:38:11 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 14, 2019, 09:21:54 AM
Wasn't there an issue with one of the cast cranks breaking a few years ago? Maybe they were Eagle brand?

That what I remember...  I thought it was whoever makes the Mopar cranks...

Eagle

...and

Eagle

The Scat cranks are a different story.

Also, save some $$$ and buy a Scat balanced kit. They are internally balanced so they take a regular 340 balancer. They come with Kings bearings for the radius.

I bought mine from Brian at IMM Engines. He said he's checked the balanced and they are fine.

I've talked to Scat at SEMA and they balance in house at their Redondo Beach facility.

I got the I-beam rods and didn't have to notch the block. With the lighter aftermarket pistons and rods it revs surprisingly very quickly.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: autoxcuda on July 14, 2019, 10:26:04 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 14, 2019, 09:38:11 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 14, 2019, 09:21:54 AM
Wasn't there an issue with one of the cast cranks breaking a few years ago? Maybe they were Eagle brand?

That what I remember...  I thought it was whoever makes the Mopar cranks...

Eagle

...and

Eagle

The Scat cranks are a different story.

Also, same some $$$ and buy a Scat balanced kit. They are internally balanced so they take a regular 340 balancer. They come with Kings bearings for the radius.

I bought mine from Brian at IMM Engines. He said he's checked the balanced and they are fine.

I've talked to Scat at SEMA and they balance in house at their Redondo Beach facility.

I got the I-beam rods and didn't have to notch the block. With the lighter aftermarket pistons and rods it revs surprisingly very quickly.

Good Info, thanks for the input Steve..

autoxcuda

If he's going from a 360 to a 408 internal balance he'll need:

New/different balancer

Spacer or something for crank pulley

Remove torque converter weights

Anything else? 
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

bennydodge

When I went from a 340 to a 416 my cast crank setup was internally balanced and I was able to use my stock crank pulley (73 340). I think it was a BHJ neutral balance dampener. I also swapped my converter to a zero balance PTC unit. On my buddy's stroker we just chiseled the weights off a stock converter and that worked also.
1973 Challenger 340
2010 Dodge 3500 dually

gzig5

Quote from: autoxcuda on July 15, 2019, 09:28:16 AM
If he's going from a 360 to a 408 internal balance he'll need:

New/different balancer

Spacer or something for crank pulley

Remove torque converter weights

Anything else?

New tires to take the abuse that is about to be dished out.

:burnout:

Chryco Psycho

Intake is good
I would use 308 swirl heads from 87-92 360s as my first choice
I would use magnum exhaust manfolds , there are better & worse years so do the research .
I would definately use a forged crank stroker

autoxcuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 15, 2019, 08:49:01 PM
Intake is good
I would use 308 swirl heads from 87-92 360s as my first choice
I would use magnum exhaust manfolds , there are better & worse years so do the research .
I would definately use a forged crank stroker

What are the cc's of the 308's? If they aren't the same as aftermarket heads, he'll have to change pistons and rebalance for any other head changes.

Chryco Psycho

I will have to look up the head CC , they are the same as any LA head but are good for about a 40 hp gain over X or J castings