Main Menu

starter interfering with exhaust

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 05, 2023, 06:13:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

So I hit a snag this evening.  The starter interferes with the exhaust.  We are running the larger B body bell housing with the 143 tooth flywheel.  We also have the 2 1/2" TTI exhaust with the HP cast iron manifolds.  The starter is just barely hitting the pipe.  I am tempted to just dent the pipe a bit.  Any other suggestions?  Is there an alternative starter available that is smaller?  I am not sure how much clearance I really need between the starter and the exhaust pipe?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

A mini starter should help. If I remember correctly, the 90's Dakota V8s used one and there are all kinds of aftermarket suppliers too. Check Summit, get the part# and then check Rock Auto and see how you do.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Daveh

I have a mini starter and TTI headers on my 340 and I still had to dimple the header just a bit. 

BIGSHCLUNK

Mini starter IMO is the way to go. Just from the heat transfer aspect if nothing else

71GranCoupe

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on March 07, 2023, 07:44:32 AM
Mini starter IMO is the way to go. Just from the heat transfer aspect if nothing else

I really like the idea of the mini starter. Does anyone know of a good part number for one. I would like to use one on a small block and a big block. are they interchangeable?  :notsure: thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.   :thankyou:

Daveh

Blowout

jimynick

A 1998 Dakota 318 starter, new by Remy is $113 on Rock Auto. Just FYI   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

You need 1/2 clearance for sure & maybe a heat shield , definately not good to be touching , the larger belhousing is moving the starter out so it touches the pipe , the challengers has 130 tooth which is why the pipe is not bent to clear properly .