Main Menu

Small Block to 727 Brackets

Started by Solarguy, June 20, 2021, 04:43:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Solarguy

So,  I've heard of these 2 brackets that help hold the transmission in position with small block engines to either 727 or 904 transmissions.  My 70 Cuda 340/727 does not have these brackets and I can not find them listed in the 70-71 parts book.  As a matter of fact, I don't recall seeing them on any mopar I've ever worked on nor in any pictures. 

Does anyone know the applications for these or have any pics on them installed?  I would like to add them to my ride even if not OE.  There are some on Ebay I borrowed this pic and included the link below.  Any info on these would be helpful.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124764109054

Thanks

Burdar

They help support the bottm of the trans bellhousing since the small blocks don't have any support down low.  Many of them have been tossed over the years.  The main reason they get tossed is that they don't fit with headers.  Lots of people will say they aren't needed but the factory wasn't in the habbit of adding/desgining extra things that weren't necessary.  The factory obviously thought they surved a purpose otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money on them.

I actually got mine to fit on my TTi shorty headers.  I did have to clearence them a little but I got both of them on.  I think 318/340 brackets are the same.  On the 360, one is the same as 318/340 but one of them is a little longer.  The magnum engines take different brackets as well I believe.

Rich G.

Yes they bolt to the side of the block and bottom of the trans. There is a right and a left one and they're different. Somehow I had two rights.

Solarguy

Thanks for the replies and the pic.  I agree that the factory wouldn't have put them on if they weren't needed, that's why I'd like to find a set.

I couldn't find them in the parts book.  Are they body specific?    Are there different ones for 904's?  Part numbers on them?  Should the ones pictured in my first post work?  There are a few different styles listed on Ebay naturally all claim to fit that's why I have so many Q's. 

Thanks

money pit

Thanks. This really solves the mystery as to where these brackets go.