Main Menu

Sniper EFI on a big block

Started by fireguyfire, July 13, 2020, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Just starting to get to installing my Holley sniper EFI onto my 1970 383, and I've got a couple of questions for anyone out there that has done this before on a dodge big block.

My first question is how did you go about connecting the stock throttle cable to the sniper body?

And secondly, the instructions recommend that you install the new water temperature sensor into the same spot as the factory one is located. The issue is that the replacement one is must larger diameter than the factory sensor.
If anyone has installed one of these, where did you install the new temp sensor?
There is a plug on the top of the water pump between the heater hoses that looks like a good spot, but I tested the plug and I get the feeling it will be extremely hard to remove.

Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated!

jamesroney

I installed a FI Tech EFI system on my 383 'cuda.

1. The original throttle cable did not work the FI tech bracket.  I bought an Edelbrock adapter bracket for Mopar.  It works fine with the stock cable.

2. The temp gage port is tiny compared to the FI tech temp sender.  The temp sender is 3/8 NPT, and won't fit it that hole.  I used the "extra" port in the water pump but it disintegrated upon removal.  I had to drill it out and thread it.  It works great.

No regrets!
BS23N0E

Chryco Psycho

Innovation on the throttle cable the Holley 20-7 throttle bracket often works also .
I agree the plug between the heater hoses is the place to install the temp sensor & yes it is usually a fight to remove it !

fireguyfire

Any tips on removing that plug? I was thinking some heat from a micro torch.
Also, my 3/8 socket drive is a bit sloppy in the plug, but obviously the 1/2 is too big.

fireguyfire

So I got the correct connecting pin for the sniper, but I'm still having issues with the throttle cable length, which is weird because the connection point on the sniper looks to be pretty much identical to the connection point on the Holley carb I pulled off.
The cable has a slight kink already, and this is before I pull the sleeve back the 4" or so of throw and clamp it down so you get the full range of pedal.
Anyone got a pic of the throttle cable routing to their sniper they would like to share? I'm going to have to put a large S into my cable to get it to work.

GrandpaKevin

Thermostat spacer with 3/8" threaded ports.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wn0028u

What are you using for fuel delivery?

Chryco Psycho

I usually build an extension link from the cable to the throttle pin .
I would use heat & parrafin wax .

fireguyfire

Can you elaborate on the throttle linkage Chryco?
Again my cable presents like it's too long.
I know you can get throttle cables you can cut to custom sizes.

Also for the fuel supply question, I have the sniper fuel kit that has an inline pump, plus all of the lines, fittings, etc

Chryco Psycho

OK so clamp the metal sleeve on the cable housing into the throttle cable bracket if it will not reach the pin on the throttle body you need to make a link , I usually make one from 1/4 " steel drill 2 holes in it so the link will reach the throttle pin , then use a small bolt or a hitch pin to lock the link into the end of the throttle cable end
Or is the cable too long already & reaches the throttle pin easily ? If so pull it back as far as possible in the clamp & tes to see if you are getting full throttle with the range you have . If that is not enough you probably have to cut & weld the bracket to move it further back .
Usually the bracket is too far away tho making the cable too short

fireguyfire

My connection and link up is good; it's the length of the cable itself that seems wrong now, as in too long.
From the throttle bracket back to the firewall I gave to put a big "S" in the cable; not sure it should be that way, or how it will effect the function of the cable

Chryco Psycho

70Barracuda

Interesting, my stock throttle works fine on my Fitech.  Put a bolt through facing TB w a nut, then cable, then a nylock

I also have Speedhut gauges.  My water temp gauge always shows higher than the Fitech.  Ive switched the sensors around, no change.  Fitech never over 203, so far, while gauge says 225 230 on hot days  Usually the EFI is showing near the thermostat.
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.