Main Menu

Holley Sniper installation

Started by cris224, July 26, 2021, 06:55:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cris224

So I installed the Sniper EFI on my 340 challenger couple weeks ago. So far I am happy with it. The idle in gear with the A/C on is steady at 850rpm, the responsiveness is better, no more vapor lock.
I used the Edelbrock sump pump system, connected to the mechanical fuel pump, using the existing fuel line and the vapor line back to the tank for the wet vent from the sump pump. So I didn't have to do anything under the car.
Since I had to connect the Ign1 and Ign2 wires together to feed the sniper, I was forced to ditch the chrysler electronic ignition box, coil, and ballast resistor. I had an old ignition box sitting on my shelf, I gutted the internals and used to hide a HEI module behind it with a low resistance coil.
The car runs good but it still has the chrysler electronic distributor in with vacuum and mechanical advance.

Since the sniper can control timing as well, is there any way of making the chrysler dist. work with the sniper timing control? I can easily lock out the vacuum and mech. advance, but don't know if the magnetic trigger in it will work with the holley coil driver module. I found a wiring diagram rom a guy using Petronix II distributor. Do these have the same type of magnetic signal?
I know I can buy a holley/msd distributor and a new set of wires. Just trying to save some money here....

Thanks,

GoodysGotaCuda

You can use a factory distributor and lock it out as long as you have the means to adjust the rotor. Some distributors are setup a little bit better for this and mitigate RFI transmission.

TSP makes a decent distributor that lets you do this with an msd adjustable rotor. It's not too expensive.

Having installed a sniper with timing control I would strongly suggest -not- using the Holley coil driver. It's undersized and not a reliable component. Going toward a CDI box is going to help your reliability a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cris224

You actually got me thinking about the distributor phasing issue by using the Mopar distributor with the sniper timing control.

I can lock out the mechanical advance easily using the FBO plate and initially I was thinking of just not connecting the vacuum advance at all. But now, I am thinking about a way of using the vacuum advance manually to adjust the phasing of the rotor - some way of replacing the vacuum canister with an adjustable screw to move the magnetic pickup back and forth....

Did anybody came across something like this used to phase a distributor?

Skdmark

I'm finishing up the Sniper install on my 318.
I went with the Holley distributor. It looks well made and inside it's just a hall effect sensor and a shutter wheel.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

chaps70rt

Were you referring to the Holley "Sniper" Coil Driver when you said it was unreliable and undersized?

What is the alternative to their coil?   Seems kind of backwards to install all the Sniper components, then start replacing pieces that are inadequate?

Please provide a bit more info and the found solution if possible.
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi